What are you reading this winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellypatt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Seeing as winter is nearly upon us and there have been lots of recommendations to read more, I thought it'd be good to have a book reviews thread. Was thinking primarily bee-related books but could be anything. At the moment I'm half way through Bill Turnbull's Bad Beekeepers' Club - will post what I think when I've finished it! What are you reading? (apart from the :rules:)

The Buzz about Bees by Jurgen Tautz .... lovely photographs if nothing else.

Sixty years with bees by Donald Sims ...... a good contemporary 'how to' book with his experiences thrown in.

Just got the Haines Manual - not bad as a beginner's book due to easy to follow layout.

R2

Queen breeding and genetics by Eigil Holm
and Breeding Superbees by Steve Taber ( again)
Zen and the Art of Beehive Maintenance by Ziggy Warp and Stiffany Buckfart ( out of print)

Queen breeding and genetics by Eigil Holm
and Breeding Superbees by Steve Taber ( again)
Zen and the Art of Beehive Maintenance by Ziggy Warp and Stiffany Buckfart ( out of print)

Buckfart cant be a real beekeepers surname, can it ???

The mating flight by Poppy Ngonad

The long cold winter by Mc'Luster

Ripening Honey by Eva Porate

The Honey Bee by JL & CG Gould.....

very interesting book of navigation, language , behaviour and pheromones

and...i forgot ...as i am taking module 6 exam..it is about the only book wriiten after 1950 on their book list...and is quite a good read and unlike the older book has reasonable photos in colour

so my reading for module 6 since august includes

Bees their vision chemical, senses and language Von Frisch 1950
The Honeybee C B Butler 1949
phermones of Social Bees JB Free
The Social Organsation of Bees JB Free

and yet to read The World of the Honey Bee by CG Butler 1959 but it looks rather dry and just found a copy of L Baileys book on infectious disease of the honey bees

but for a good read, you cant fault The Buzz about BEES, which i want to re read before the exams

Last edited:
"The summer gone by" by F King-Wet

The Honey Bee by JL & CG Gould.....

very interesting book of navigation, language , behaviour and pheromones

and...i forgot ...as i am taking module 6 exam..it is about the only book wriiten after 1950 on their book list...and is quite a good read and unlike the older book has reasonable photos is colour

so my reading for module 6 since august includes

Bees their vision chemical, senses and language Von Frisch 1950
The Honeybee C B Butler 1949
phermones of Social Bees JB Free
The Social Organsation of Bees JB Free

and yet to read The World of the Honey Bee by CG Butler 1959 but it looks rather dry and just found a copy of L Baileys book on infectious disease of the honey bees

Good list. Add anything by Tom Seeley, Martin Lindauer's book (can't remember title), and Ribband's book on behaviour. Mark Winston's 'Honeybee Biology' has some summaries of behavioural stuff within it too, IIRC. Oh - and perhaps von Frisch's 'Dance language...' (although it's a weighty tome that is well summarised elsewhere)

Good list. Add anything by Tom Seeley, Martin Lindauer's book (can't remember title), and Ribband's book on behaviour. Mark Winston's 'Honeybee Biology' has some summaries of behavioural stuff within it too, IIRC. Oh - and perhaps von Frisch's 'Dance language...' (although it's a weighty tome that is well summarised elsewhere)

but most are very expensive, i have von frisch dancee lanuage and i know what you means...more than a coffee table book

i am dyslexlicand the 1950 style does not help me read well...like a young kid i need a few good pics to keep me interested....the ladybird book of bees is my prefered style LOL

50 Shades of Gray.

Well I finished Bad Beekeepers' Club. There are some good bits but mostly it's like being told a joke and hit with a big stick at the same time.

Have now started Bee Wilson's The Hive.

50 Shades of Gray.
I've spent far too many hours reading Jilly Cooper and the Twilight "saga" so I am steering well clear.

Well I finished Bad Beekeepers' Club. There are some good bits but mostly it's like being told a joke and hit with a big stick at the same time. ...

But do tell people that you have read it.
It saves ending up with plural copies, come the 'gift' season!

"The Buzz about Bees" on the other hand is worth asking for - at least at the library.
A very seriously informative (well, it is German) book, not best served by the slightly lowbrow (English) title.
Seeley's "Honeybee Democracy" is good. Actually rather good. But can "The Wisdom of the Hive" really be worth that much money? I'd love to see it and try to decide ...

Itma - no it's not - it's nothing like Democracy either in readableness or in interest.

Muswell - where did you manage to get your library of books - I couldn't find Bailey for love nor money and I've been looking for a few years now.

Eb

I couldn't find Bailey for love nor money and I've been looking for a few years now.

Don't know where you have been looking, but if its any help there are a few for sale on the internet, i just took a couple of minutes to look and found them.

Last edited:
Last I read from internet about "rock paintings of Sahara". They have made during thousands of years.

One thing "Gene maps or Australian aborginals, Irish, Finnish, South American aborginals...

Last edited:
Madasafish . 50 shades of gray? Dont bother . My Mrs reckons its frightful tosh, at best !
I am re reading R.O.B Manley . Honey Farming , for the third time . Also dipping in and out of The World History of Beekeeping and Honey hunting by Eva Crane . Bit of a weighty tome but v interesting .
G

Latest posts

Back