Water in, water out.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
During this dry spell there has been more water collection than usual from sources like the bird bath and next door's pond, but every night the hives are busy fanning away, now getting rid of water. With the recent low daytime temperatures I don't suppose the 'day'water is being used for cooling, so what are they doing with it?
There is clearly plenty of fresh and partly dehydrated nectar in the hive, Does this water collection mean that older matured honey is being diluted and consumed by preference, or does fresh nectar still need to be diluted for use?

During this dry spell there has been more water collection than usual from sources like the bird bath and next door's pond, but every night the hives are busy fanning away, now getting rid of water. With the recent low daytime temperatures I don't suppose the 'day'water is being used for cooling, so what are they doing with it?
There is clearly plenty of fresh and partly dehydrated nectar in the hive, Does this water collection mean that older matured honey is being diluted and consumed by preference, or does fresh nectar still need to be diluted for use?
I would say its stores being consumed.
We went through all colonys on the weekend and you can plainly see ivy/Heather honey being diluted around the brood nest.
Still not as much drone brood around compared to last year up here.

I would say its stores being consumed.
We went through all colonys on the weekend and you can plainly see ivy/Heather honey being diluted around the brood nest.
Still not as much drone brood around compared to last year up here.
Walking around the apiary yesterday, I could smell heather honey.

Ivy flowering ? At this time of the year ? Don't think so ....
Ivy honey from last year you can smell it.
As they are uncapping it to use.
The little guys wanted to try it on the weekend.

Latest posts

Back