Water in syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, our tap water hardines is only 3. I have reared in that water neon tetra youngs..
I have succeeded rear even cardinale tetras, but once. I know, you chalky water there.

common sense prize to PH:

"Good grief. No offence but do you think the bees look at a murky pond and think is this dirty enough for us?"

Some prat recently told me I should carry out a written risk-assessment before lending friend's children a bee-suit so they could look at my bees when I opened the hive..

richard

These are those one hive owners things. Some asks something and then sky is falling down. Not the first time.

Sky is already down! Danger over!

I once thought this and asked the question on here a couple of years back.

I wondered about some of the major and minor elements within tap water. i.e. copper (we had new pipes at the time) which is deadly to many invertibrates, sodium (in water softeners is bad for people and many organisms)
Obviously trace elements such as the high levels of calcium and magnesium have to go somewhere, let alone chlorine and floride (are they trapped in the syrup, or completely blown off when heated!?!)... there are chemicals in water that are there to kill organisms.

The guys here also said there were no concerns.

However, if you give a dog a bowl of tap water and a bowl of rainwater, it will generally drink the rain water.
If you give a dog tap water, rainwater and reverse osmosis water, the dog will generally drink RO water.

even though there were no concerns with tap water, I have continued to use RO water for making syrup. it may not be necessary, but it makes ME happy and the bees don't seem to have a problem with it!

Even though Tim and Broandy obviously find the question highly amusing, I don't think it's that daft a question. People would also think the same as a dog (dogs are not fussy as they drink toilet water, but not many people would think why, even when the dog bowl is covered in slobber and has been left out all day!... ignorance is bliss!).

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer and I think Tim and Broandy have hit the spot with their interesting, informative and valuable contribution! :dupe:

Is it just because of availablity\convenience that they take water from nasty places and result in gut disorders?

every human in the world can drink fresh and clean drinking water... many however cannot justify walking hundreds of miles to get it and would rather drink from a ditch

It wasn't the question i was laughing at, it was the answer that PH put. I thought it was a perfectly good answer.

:rant:
I think there are beeks on here who ask certain questions over and over when all they have to do is search on here before asking.

Lets have some beekeeping questions please. What the hell has rearing neon tetras got to do with bees? I expect the next thing will be the football results.

I think there are beeks on here who ask certain questions over and over when all they have to do is search on here before asking.

Fair point, but it's a forum not a library - new members join all the time and want to have an input into the debate not just read the archive.

Tim, look beyond the original thread question to the issue, namely, if you make syrup how can you ensure it lasts as long as possible to serve the purpose for which it is intended? Now re-read the posts (including mine). Finman you would do well to do the same. I also agree with PH with regard water quality by the way .....

I tell some facts about syrup

- the container is carsinogenig - all platics are
- tap water is poison but not so poisonous as distilled water
- cane sugar is poison
- bees are poisonous

how beeks can be alive . - no, they are not. At least top is rotten.

My bees have a real fascination for my dog run!

Presumably they are getting some useful salts, but I would prefer not to think about it!

By the way, there are folk who recomment the use of bleach in sugar syrup to keep the mould at bay.

http://www.scientificbeekeeping.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53

Just goes to show.

Mind you my bees seem to prefer simple home made fondant to shop bought, so they are not totally depraved.

I tell some facts about syrup

- the container is carsinogenig - all platics are
- tap water is poison but not so poisonous as distilled water
- cane sugar is poison
- bees are poisonous

how beeks can be alive . - no, they are not. At least top is rotten.

Hi Finman, hence the toxicologist's catechism.

"Everything you like is either; illegal, immoral, fattening or causes cancer in white rats"

I wouldn't worry in the slightest. Given half the chance, bees may choose some fairly 'unhealthy' water from ditches and even the surface of cow pats to dilute honey and cool the hive! :ack2:

my bees came with green all over their thorax last year, they hive is near a horse stables midden, so the water had lots of added value:biggrinjester:

errmr i'm pretty sure it's hard boil water for two minutes, of keep it at 70 degrees for much longer.

the two minute figure is for destroying legionella, which is quite susceptible to temperature culling.. many other things are far more resilient than even rule of thumb temperature deactivation eg:

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0101-20612010000400032&script=sci_arttext

problem is how far to go when as someone mentioned essentially your bees will also drink from cow dung... if your going away on holiday and want to set up a lot of syrup and not have it go mouldy i'd probably boil for a few minutes, or indeed us RO if i had any about, but more importantly use a sterile bottle and try to set it up in such a way to reduce spores floating around in the air or hitchiking on a bees toungue from being able to grow back up into the bulk fluid and ruin it all.. maybe a filter or somehow set up like a saline drip in hospital so there less risk of the whole lot going off.

Yes, it does. If you put fish into a tank of tap water they'll be dead within a day. The tank needs to be left at least 3 weeks to neutralise.

the three weeks is for the tank to cycle (bacteria to grow up in order to remove the ammonia the fish produce in the water into less poisonous nitrate)

chlorine is gone in a matter of hours in still water, seconds if you spray water into the bucket through a shower head.

Last edited:
if your going away on holiday and want to set up a lot of syrup and not have it go mouldy i'd probably boil for a few minutes, or indeed us RO if i had any about,

Never boil syrup,likely to make it toxic for bee's.

If you give strong syrup and an amount that they take it in in 2 days, mould has no time to strike.

If syrup get mould, it has impurities like dirty feeding box.

60% syrup will not take mould if it does not get moisture from air.

Well, you must know more than everyone I've ever spoken to who works in aquariums then - they all say not to put your fish into the tank for at least 3 weeks and to get a ph test first. UK water is, on the whole very hard - not great for tropical fish

it depends on the fish... I have a bit of a background as I have kept fish for 30 years, study marine biology, ichthyology and river and waterway management.

I have kept coldwater, tropical in the past, but do keep marines, inverts and corals.

The chlorine in tap water irritates and inflames the gills of the fish, which if it does not kill them directly, leads to a death via shock. This will disipate within 24 hours if left in an open topped container (the addatives to speed up dechlorinisation is a waste of time if you have 24 hours to kill)

the water is hard in the UK, but is great for many of the African Cichlids that require hard water, but also many of the Tetras that are shipped from Hong Kong (most) also are happy in hard water. Many books are old fashioned and refer to many tetras requiring soft water as it is close to their natural habitat.

I keep marines. Reverse Osmosis strips everything out, for me to add precise quantitys of elements in to keep the environment healthy.
In tap water the amounts of elements change on a daily basis.

As i produce a large amount of RO for my tank, I am not going out of the way to give some to the bees...

back on topic! :hurray:

Latest posts

Back