Water in syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the three weeks is for the tank to cycle (bacteria to grow up in order to remove the ammonia the fish produce in the water into less poisonous nitrate)

chlorine is gone in a matter of hours in still water, seconds if you spray water into the bucket through a shower head.

indeed! a lot depends on the type of fish you keep for their vunerability and the load you place on the system...
You can add many (not all!) freshwater fish to a relatively new tank by seeding the tank with a used filter and keeping the bio-load low... Marines on on the whole more expensive, and many are more fragile.

am i on the wrong forum! :)

Fair point, but it's a forum not a library - new members join all the time and want to have an input into the debate not just read the archive.

I understand some newbies want to ask the questions but whenever i am going to ask a question i always search to see if it has been asked before. Most of the time i find it has. Saves so much time.

It may be a forum but it could also be a library as well. This site is a mine of information and has answered some questions i wish i had asked.

Perhaps there should be a FAQ page to save time.

I understand some newbies want to ask the questions but whenever i am going to ask a question i always search to see if it has been asked before. Most of the time i find it has. Saves so much time.

It may be a forum but it could also be a library as well. This site is a mine of information and has answered some questions i wish i had asked.

Totally agree. Just for the record if you search for "tap water" you get 500 results - I gave up after the first 5 pages after finding nothing relevant.

Try perusing the "stickies" there are some gems in there.

PH

On other non bee forums the FAQ is very comprehensive. But it would take quite a lot of time to compile.

But yes i agree... question like I have a QC what should I do ?

The only other problem is 2 beekeepers never agree :)

But a 1, 2 or 3 answer could be given !!!!

if your going away on holiday and want to set up a lot of syrup and not have it go mouldy i'd probably boil for a few minutes, or indeed us RO if i had any about,

Never boil syrup,likely to make it toxic for bee's.

indeed sorry I ment the water before making syrup (otherwise i'd have just microwaved it in the bottle to sterylise the bottle in one swoop.

indeed! a lot depends on the type of fish you keep for their vunerability and the load you place on the system...
You can add many (not all!) freshwater fish to a relatively new tank by seeding the tank with a used filter and keeping the bio-load low... Marines on on the whole more expensive, and many are more fragile.

am i on the wrong forum! :)

lol me too :) used to keep seahorses <sigh> oh to have a landlord that would let me have a fishtank!! (working on the bees for now tho.. colony will live at my mums till iv'e buttered him up enough with jars of honney )

if your going away on holiday and want to set up a lot of syrup and not have it go mouldy i'd probably boil for a few minutes, or indeed us RO if i had any about,

Never boil syrup, likely to make it toxic for bee's.

i think it's only damaging to bees if its caramalised though, boilding it for a short time would be ok.. specially at low sugar concentrations as the temperature wouldnt reach that much more than 100 water would be boiling off leaving the sugar pretty much in tact until a fair proportion of the water were gone..

plus boiling with the sugar would kill nasties on the sugar too.

i know trying to make sweets with a 50:50 mix would take a fair amount of time and a lot of volume before it got hot enough to begin to turn.

the higher boiling temp would kill more bugs so you wouldnt need to do it for the two minutes to have the same log deactivation.

i'm not sure about inverting the sugar in terms of deactivation of baddies, know it keeps it a bit longer, was always taught to boil the syrup before adding the acid to invert.

other threads say to boil http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8540&highlight=boil+syrup

however i wasn't thinking of it when i wrote to boil, but actually thinking about it, microwaving in a glass bottle to near boiling point brings it over 100, steryises the bottle and hastens disolving. i may opt for that..

Did you know that wood is a natural anticeptic, thats why butchers blocks are made of wood, also would you drink bottled water before tap water ?

Did you know that wood is a natural anticeptic, thats why butchers blocks are made of wood, also would you drink bottled water before tap water ?

yay someone more tangental than me :)

i was more under the impression butchers blocks were made of wood so as not to blunten their knifes. antibacterial effects were unknown at the time, and are very much dependant on type of wood and bacteria that you are interested in.

more i think about it the more i'm sure boiling is fine, make fondant boiling too. unless bee physiology has drastically changed int he last few yrs, or my mentor continually replaced his hives so i wouldnt know he was incapable of keeping bees alive

i'd definately choose tap water over bottled water everyday, especially those "flavoured" bottled water where they don't even need to put the nitrate levels on the bottles..

bee wise. was taught to use rainwater.. but that may just have been a symptom of disperse apiaries with no access to mains water and waterbuts next to sheds. having read a bti on here i suspect tap is good for the salt levels, bees need calcium for their exoskeletons and such, not sure how much our sugar water would contain otherwise, nectar probably provides some and streams a bti more, but a fair amount of that is stolen and replaced with crap nutrition...

bit like toiling away in your own organic vegetable patch all spring, only for the chip shop owner to pop by one day and dig it all up leaving you with an equivalent calorific content bag of frozen chips thay you need to process to eat and can only really get carbs from. lol not that i'd mind...mmm chippie chips

Edited to add:

a lot better than a moldy bag of chips though, so given the amount of yeast and algae and bacteria in or tapwater i'd definately boil the water firstif it's for a long term feed

(yay realised i could swing round to the OP) well ish

and didnt manage to edit in time! eeepdidnt realise there was a limit

Edited to add:

a lot better than a moldy bag of chips though, so given the amount of yeast and algae and bacteria in or tapwater i'd definately boil the water firstif it's for a long term feed

That text really needs facts about condition of Southampton tap water.

If I were you I would call to City Office.

That text really needs facts about condition of Southampton tap water.

If I were you I would call to City Office.

lol, i actually commute to Rugby in the week, no better here ;p

chlorine in the distribution system only really stops growth of organisms, many are still there, if you put something in it for them to grow off once the chlorine evaporates, or has reacted with contaminants even one bacteria in a whole container growth will be exponential until food or waste limits it.

Latest posts

Back