Water in syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatbritishhoney

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondered if anyone takes into account what may be in their tap water when they are making up syrup.
We're on a private water supply which we have regularly tested so I know what's in it, but I guess mains tap water quality varies from region to region.
Are chlorine levels likely to affect bees?
Does anyone filter their water or anything like that?

Good grief. No offence but do you think the bees look at a murky pond and think is this dirty enough for us?

The newbies have enough to fret over with out another hare running.

I do not and never have worried about water. If it is in the public supply it is good enough for me, my dogs and my bees.

PH

I make syrup by bringing the water to 70'C and holding 2 minutes before adding the sugar. That gives a crude microbiological kill for any vegetative cells, incl yeasts and moulds and gives a better resulting shelf life for the syriup (esp 1:1). As a side effect it also does a good job of blowing off dissociated chlorides / ions as chlorine gas, so no worries there irrespective of prior potable water dosing. R

I wouldn't worry in the slightest. Given half the chance, bees may choose some fairly 'unhealthy' water from ditches and even the surface of cow pats to dilute honey and cool the hive! The residual amount of chlorine in the water might even help! But that brings a whole new perspective on the list of ingredients, if ever we were obliged to include them on a jar label. :ack2:

Good grief. No offence but do you think the bees look at a murky pond and think is this dirty enough for us?

The newbies have enough to fret over with out another hare running.

I do not and never have worried about water. If it is in the public supply it is good enough for me, my dogs and my bees.

PH

Just interested that's all.
I just thought composition of the water might have an influence on things like how well the syrup lasts when stored etc.

Just interested that's all.
I just thought composition of the water might have an influence on things like how well the syrup lasts when stored etc.

I think it highly likely that the old wooden spoon you stirred with or indeed the not so clean feeder will have more influence than the water. Heating to 70 takes care of the production risks for Y&M but the key to shelf life is a well maintianed and hygienic feeder IMO.

I make syrup by bringing the water to 70'C and holding 2 minutes before adding the sugar. That gives a crude microbiological kill for any vegetative cells, incl yeasts and moulds and gives a better resulting shelf life for the syriup (esp 1:1). As a side effect it also does a good job of blowing off dissociated chlorides / ions as chlorine gas, so no worries there irrespective of prior potable water dosing. R

that water takes bacteria and mold at once. Honey has hundreds of different micro organism.

that water takes bacteria and mold at once. Honey has hundreds of different micro organism.

True Finman, but we aren't feeding them honey! and if we get it right the syrup we feed should never become 'harvested' honey either!

Thanks for the info Rosti - allows new beeks to make informed decisions about whether they bother with such things or not.

I once thought this and asked the question on here a couple of years back.

I wondered about some of the major and minor elements within tap water. i.e. copper (we had new pipes at the time) which is deadly to many invertibrates, sodium (in water softeners is bad for people and many organisms)
Obviously trace elements such as the high levels of calcium and magnesium have to go somewhere, let alone chlorine and floride (are they trapped in the syrup, or completely blown off when heated!?!)... there are chemicals in water that are there to kill organisms.

The guys here also said there were no concerns.

However, if you give a dog a bowl of tap water and a bowl of rainwater, it will generally drink the rain water.
If you give a dog tap water, rainwater and reverse osmosis water, the dog will generally drink RO water.

even though there were no concerns with tap water, I have continued to use RO water for making syrup. it may not be necessary, but it makes ME happy and the bees don't seem to have a problem with it!

Even though Tim and Broandy obviously find the question highly amusing, I don't think it's that daft a question. People would also think the same as a dog (dogs are not fussy as they drink toilet water, but not many people would think why, even when the dog bowl is covered in slobber and has been left out all day!... ignorance is bliss!).

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer and I think Tim and Broandy have hit the spot with their interesting, informative and valuable contribution! :dupe:

Is it just because of availablity\convenience that they take water from nasty places and result in gut disorders?

every human in the world can drink fresh and clean drinking water... many however cannot justify walking hundreds of miles to get it and would rather drink from a ditch

I've never given it any thought.
Our water is very soft and tasteless, but there is a whiff of chlorine sometimes in the morning.
My hives are 10 feet away from a spring in the hillside. Many years ago there were horses in the field and the owner made a sort of rock trap underneath to collect some so that the horses could drink. I have never seen the bees there,perhaps it's too clean or too cold. I use it to top up a bucket of moss nearby and they collect water from that.
It's a hot day and I have been sitting watching the comings and goings. It looked so refreshing in the rocks and there are no nearby livestock uphill so I had a taste. Mmmmmm, much better than the stuff that comes out of the tap.
I'll tell you if I'm still here tomorrow....:)

I once thought this and asked the question on here a couple of years back.

I wondered about some of the major and minor elements within tap water. i.e. copper (we had new pipes at the time) which is deadly to many invertibrates, sodium (in water softeners is bad for people and many organisms)
Obviously trace elements such as the high levels of calcium and magnesium have to go somewhere, let alone chlorine and floride (are they trapped in the syrup, or completely blown off when heated!?!)... there are chemicals in water that are there to kill organisms.

The guys here also said there were no concerns.

However, if you give a dog a bowl of tap water and a bowl of rainwater, it will generally drink the rain water.
If you give a dog tap water, rainwater and reverse osmosis water, the dog will generally drink RO water.

even though there were no concerns with tap water, I have continued to use RO water for making syrup. it may not be necessary, but it makes ME happy and the bees don't seem to have a problem with it!

Even though Tim and Broandy obviously find the question highly amusing, I don't think it's that daft a question. People would also think the same as a dog (dogs are not fussy as they drink toilet water, but not many people would think why, even when the dog bowl is covered in slobber and has been left out all day!... ignorance is bliss!).

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer and I think Tim and Broandy have hit the spot with their interesting, informative and valuable contribution! :dupe:

Is it just because of availablity\convenience that they take water from nasty places and result in gut disorders?

every human in the world can drink fresh and clean drinking water... many however cannot justify walking hundreds of miles to get it and would rather drink from a ditch

Am laughing even more now opps I just pee myself looooooooooooooool:blush5:

I think my bees have got a swimming pool they keep topping up everyday.....
Average of litre per day from a feeder.........

True Finman, but we aren't feeding them honey! and if we get it right the syrup we feed should never become 'harvested' honey either!

rosty. You are out of reality. Sterilized water. Look what bees do when they clean the bottom board. Hah.

Thanks for the info Rosti - allows new beeks to make informed decisions about whether they bother with such things or not.

please, keep that knowledge as secret.

Tap water kills organisms like aquarium fishes, garden flowers...humans...

Last edited:
please, keep that knowledge as secret.

Tap water kills organisms like aquarium fishes, garden flowers...humans...

Yes, it does. If you put fish into a tank of tap water they'll be dead within a day. The tank needs to be left at least 3 weeks to neutralise.

Yes, it does. If you put fish into a tank of tap water they'll be dead within a day. The tank needs to be left at least 3 weeks to neutralise.

nonsence. I have had aquariums 40 years.

Tap water has here pH 8. When I shange the water, I take 30% off and pour new water into tank.
We have here soft water. We have not used chloride during last 30 years. Microbes have been killed with otzone.

nonsence. I have had aquariums 40 years.

Tap water has here pH 8. When I shange the water, I take 30% off and pour new water into tank.
We have here soft water. We have not used chloride during last 30 years. Microbes have been killed with otzone.

Well, you must know more than everyone I've ever spoken to who works in aquariums then - they all say not to put your fish into the tank for at least 3 weeks and to get a ph test first. UK water is, on the whole very hard - not great for tropical fish

Latest posts

Back