Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got rid of one nest somewhere in the garage roof. They were entering just under where the potting shed hive is but to be truthful haven't seen many about. Usually see lots wood scraping in the spring.

Have seen quite a few in this neck of the woods. Savaging scrapings and also taking fibres from boxes…….I get the feeling it’s going to be a waspy end to the season
,Time to patrol my territory and break out the digrain if it becomes so. I don't have a problem with wasps living elsewhere but if they become a nuisance to me they invite their own doom

Come to think of it, I've also seen very few hornets (of the European variety).

If I'm in my office when it's dark and the lights are on (I can touch type quite happily in the dark, so I don't always bother with the lights) during the summer I often get hornets head-butting the window when they're out hunting. This year I have seen absolutely none. I've seen one or two hornets out in the garden (though really very few at all), but numbers would look to be very much lower this year than normal.

James
I’ve not seen any hornets at all this year, which is most unusual and a little disconcerting. A few wasps are getting about now though.

Seen one Hornet early on this year and several Wasps.
Killed a couple sniffing around the hive and the Bees have killed a few more.
Going to try the fake wasps nest trick see if it does work.

Other insects I've not really seen that many of this year: butterflies and ladybirds.

James
That's interesting I've not seen a ladybird yet this year, last year had them everywhere!!

There’s a bit of a dearth of insects butterflies and moths generally, this year, seems to me. A fair few flies but not much else - and I’ve not seen any bats yet this year.

There’s a bit of a dearth of insects butterflies and moths generally, this year, seems to me. A fair few flies but not much else - and I’ve not seen any bats yet this year.
Have seen a few bats flying around the garden at dusk, I love seeing them

Our buddliea are usually covered in butterflies. This year, barely any. Maybe the buddliea are flowering early

Have seen a few bats flying around the garden at dusk, I love seeing them
I have a CCTV system which reveals pretty extensive night flying by moths around the various cameras. Also tiny spiders that crawl across a camera lens that appear as screen filling giant arachnids. 😨

Never sure whether wasp traps work. Maybe they attract wasps to the apiary? 🤔
The wasps will not distroy your colony if it's a strong one.
Wasp are welcome in the strong colony. They just having a little treat.
Just keep a eye on them.
Moka

Have seen a lot of bats.
Some quite large ones as well.
We have some rare ones in this area.

Seen one or two wasps so far -"easily startled but they will return in greater numbers"

Butterflies and ladybirds scarce.
Thankfully midges too
Midges might be a nuisance but don't knock them. Bats, amongst other creatures eat them and they help to keep places like woodland, lakes and wetland areas, moors, margins etc wild; I reckon Scotland for example, would have a greater population if it weren't for them and then there would be even less countryside and open places for folks to visit on holiday and enjoy. Guess that means they have an economic value and benefit to the tourist industry to name just one. :ROFLMAO:

Had a 150+ bite attack from midges once while working on a roof- off work for three days with the reaction - neither forgotten or forgiven sorry.

Does this decline in insect population co-incide with the protection order on bats I wonder.......

Driving in France a few weeks ago during the heatwave. Car smeared with insect remains, a bit like it was in UK a few decades ago.
Very few on the car this year in the UK

Had a 150+ bite attack from midges once while working on a roof- off work for three days with the reaction - neither forgotten or forgiven sorry.

Does this decline in insect population co-incide with the protection order on bats I wonder.......
More like loss of habitat.
I'm currently surrounded by fields and fields of linseed. A silent blue-green desert - not a single flying insect to be seen.
IMG_20220704_120655407.jpg

Latest posts

Back