Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will they do much damage if they got into the hive? Or will they die off now or hibernate?
Only if they are in large numbers
Only queens hibernate and are likely already tucked away.
The workers and drones will die when they run out of food. They are pretty resilient to low temperatures provided they have food.

Only if they are in large numbers
Only queens hibernate and are likely already tucked away.
The workers and drones will die when they run out of food. They are pretty resilient to low temperatures provided they have food.
I have wasps attacking a nuc as of yesterday. Thought I’d seen the last of them, but it’s half a dozen at a time coming in waves. This nuc was a very small one from a bunch of bees in a hedge, I was called out to at the end of September- that had suffered from wasp attacks when in a disused chimney - or so I was told. I don’t hold out much hope for them😥

Never sure whether wasp traps work. Maybe they attract wasps to the apiary? 🤔
Well they will attract them.
I put one underneath one of my hives and it got filled up pretty quickly.
I do feel sorry for them.
Saw one on the inspection board that was so emaciated.
Nature is so cruel.

So, lately I removed my tunnel entrances, and put mouseguards on.

Still notice the odd wasp about yet. And one being chased out the door earlier today.

What’s the deal with wasps at this time of the year?

Will they do much damage if they got into the hive? Or will they die off now or hibernate?
if your colony is strong enough they don't stand a chance of doing any serious damage.

Well they will attract them.
I put one underneath one of my hives and it got filled up pretty quickly.
I do feel sorry for them.
Saw one on the inspection board that was so emaciated.
Nature is so cruel.
How do you tell an emaciated wasp from any other?

I have wasps attacking a nuc as of yesterday. Thought I’d seen the last of them, but it’s half a dozen at a time coming in waves. This nuc was a very small one from a bunch of bees in a hedge, I was called out to at the end of September- that had suffered from wasp attacks when in a disused chimney - or so I was told. I don’t hold out much hope for them😥
Move it.

Latest posts

Back