Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because the wasps are plural the apostrophe is not required, if it was a single wasp who had a nest it would be. 😊
Surely the apostrophe is required, but it would appear after the second "s", not before?

Unless the intent of the notice is to convey to those unaware of the fact that wasps do in fact build nests...

James

Surely the apostrophe is required, but it would appear after the second "s", not before?

Unless the intent of the notice is to convey to those unaware of the fact that wasps do in fact build nests...

James
Strictly yes but it's accepted as not being required in general parlance or so I'm told by my teacher other half!

Strictly yes but it's accepted as not being required in general parlance or so I'm told by my teacher other half!

I have to admit that I've never heard that. I will have to try to remember to get my daughter to ask the teachers at her school. Does "general parlance" mean "couldn't find the apostrophe on their mobile phone"? :D

James

It's just struck me whilst discussing the apostrophe issue with my son that "general parlance" may actually only refer to the spoken word and therefore have no formal punctuation at all. Something I'd not considered before.

His opinion, for what it's worth as someone who got grade 9 for English Language GCSE, was that leaving out the terminal apostrophe for a possessive plural "is just plain wrong" :D I can't deny that his point of view surprised me, to be fair. He's just like that.

James

Squirrel trap good for rats too. My record is six in six days! I think they smell the previous one and follow the scent! The difficulty is catching the first one!
That's really interesting thank you, haven't heard of that, so the million dollar question is how do you catch the first one!!

That's really interesting thank you, haven't heard of that, so the million dollar question is how do you catch the first one!!

Bait the trap with pretty much anything rats like to eat? So pretty much anything, then? Peanut butter is allegedly effective and has the additional benefit of being a way to get rid of peanut butter that you might have bought accidentally or been given by someone you no longer consider a friend.

Or get in the trap and make smells like a rat?

James

Please encourage your grandchildren to deploy an apostrophe when appropriate....
Do we say human dwelling or humans' dwelling?

I think in this case wasp nest is correct in that 'wasp' in this instance is a descriptive adjective for the type of nest.

make sure you bury the bottom wire of the box just below the surface and put it next to where they look for food with a trail inside until they follow it all the way in. It may take days to catch the first one!

make sure you bury the bottom wire of the box just below the surface and put it next to where they look for food with a trail inside until they follow it all the way in. It may take days to catch the first one!
What kind of trap are you using?

Do we say human dwelling or humans' dwelling?

I think in this case wasp nest is correct in that 'wasp' in this instance is a descriptive adjective for the type of nest.

The sign on the gate, post 49, written by the grandchildren, reads 'Beware wasps nest'.

It's just struck me whilst discussing the apostrophe issue with my son that "general parlance" may actually only refer to the spoken word and therefore have no formal punctuation at all. Something I'd not considered before.
so how do you enunciate an apostrophe?

For loads of interesting and inventive ways to trap both mice and rat see this You tube channel. Some are live trap some not.

That's brilliant but we have a hedgehog

So, lately I removed my tunnel entrances, and put mouseguards on.

Still notice the odd wasp about yet. And one being chased out the door earlier today.

What’s the deal with wasps at this time of the year?

Will they do much damage if they got into the hive? Or will they die off now or hibernate?

Latest posts

Back