Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our buddliea are usually covered in butterflies. This year, barely any. Maybe the buddliea are flowering early
Strange the first flush of flowers on ours has all but gone. We usually get another set of smaller flowers, but nothing yet. Haven't seen anything other than the white cabbage butterfly in the garden😪

Had a 150+ bite attack from midges once while working on a roof- off work for three days with the reaction - neither forgotten or forgiven sorry.
Avon's 'Skin So Soft 'dry oil spray has long repelled midges, think it contains the chemical DEET (Diethyltoluamide), its effective in repelling most insects. I use a product called SMIDGE, it works well up hear.

I’ve noticed the decline .
this spring has been the second early start followed by bright dry cold weather !
the farm chucks have found their way to the apiary and clear up the dead bees !.
haven’t seen a wasp dissect a bees and carry it off for yonks .
I don’t know but it coincides with my conversion to under floor entrances .

Avon's 'Skin So Soft 'dry oil spray has long repelled midges, think it contains the chemical DEET (Diethyltoluamide), its effective in repelling most insects. I use a product called SMIDGE, it works well up hear.
Contains DEET? I bet it doesn’t

I had to mark then remove a wasp nest in the local kiddies playground over the weekend.
IMG_38.jpg
Signs courtesy of the grand children! 😊

Last edited:
I came across a hedgehog in the garden tonight. The first one that I've seen for a few years.

I narrowly missed one on the road when I was driving home from taking my wife and daughter to the airport at stupid o'clock this morning. First one I've seen in a very long time, so I'm very pleased I saw it in time.

I tell you what though... Next time I have to take anyone to Bristol airport they can be dropped off somewhere on the roadside and walk the rest of the way. I was charged £5 just to stop in a parking area, unload passengers and suitcases and drive off!

James

I narrowly missed one on the road when I was driving home from taking my wife and daughter to the airport at stupid o'clock this morning. First one I've seen in a very long time, so I'm very pleased I saw it in time.

I tell you what though... Next time I have to take anyone to Bristol airport they can be dropped off somewhere on the roadside and walk the rest of the way. I was charged £5 just to stop in a parking area, unload passengers and suitcases and drive off!

James
Bet they don't charge taxis

Come to think of it, if I saw hedgehogs in the garden I'd definitely be making some "hedgehog houses" to encourage them to stay.

James
The last two years we have had them. They get in and out of the garden despite rabbit fencing that stops rabbits! Caught one in a squirrel trap, eat all the peanut butter and was fast asleep!

Come to think of it, if I saw hedgehogs in the garden I'd definitely be making some "hedgehog houses" to encourage them to stay.

James
One still showing up on the camera at night.
Had to take the bird feeders down as we saw two rats yesterday husband took a shot at one of them think it was hit but it scurried off,rebated the rat box. Shame as we have lots of songbirds

One still showing up on the camera at night.
Had to take the bird feeders down as we saw two rats yesterday husband took a shot at one of them think it was hit but it scurried off,rebated the rat box. Shame as we have lots of songbirds
Squirrel trap good for rats too. My record is six in six days! I think they smell the previous one and follow the scent! The difficulty is catching the first one!

Midges might be a nuisance but don't knock them. Bats, amongst other creatures eat them and they help to keep places like woodland, lakes and wetland areas, moors, margins etc wild; I reckon Scotland for example, would have a greater population if it weren't for them and then there would be even less countryside and open places for folks to visit on holiday and enjoy. Guess that means they have an economic value and benefit to the tourist industry to name just one. :ROFLMAO:
A truly brilliant deduction, and it's England that should be trying to break free from Scotland.so they can repulse any invading midges as undesirable aliens

Back