Drone brood with yellowish tops

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Took a picture of worker together with drone brood here in East Yorks. The drone brood has yellowish caps to them… not seen this before. ( It’s old comb & I know a bit late for drones. )
Any thoughts on this phenomenon of yellow capings?BA32720C-E18A-4101-8CEF-D19CAEA44F85.jpeg

Took a picture of worker together with drone brood here in East Yorks. The drone brood has yellowish caps to them… not seen this before. ( It’s old comb & I know a bit late for drones. )
Any thoughts on this phenomenon of yellow capings?View attachment 37894
Unless it is just the camera/photo, it's noticeable on the worker brood too, but less obvious.
When you say " a bit late for drones", it seems not all colonies kick out the drones at the same time, despite regular (every year!) early reports of drone eviction. It's the same down here. That's how the late matings can occur I guess, despite our expectations to the contrary. Bees know best!

Last edited:
I think with the standard Hoffman spacing most tend to use, the cappings on drone brood tends to rub on the opposite comb when frames are lifted for inspection

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back