Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One was chewing on my fence today.

Two things to this:

1. The wasp is telling you that it's time you preserved your fence as it's no longer protected from rot.

2. Find a solvent based wood preserver and the wasps will leave well alone.

:):):)

Thanks for that tip Karol. It is several years since I last treated the shed and, if I don't do something soon, the wasps will munch it all away before it rots!;) I do enjoy listening to them rasping away, whether it's a shed or a ham sandwich!

Two things to this:

1. The wasp is telling you that it's time you preserved your fence as it's no longer protected from rot.

:)
I quite enjoy watching them do this

I had a huge queen wasp checking out a spot in the garden just next to my hive, I really hope she finds a more suitable location!

Queen wasps will abandon fledgling nests in busy thoroughfares. If you're concerned just keep an eye and if she does start building near by then keep disrupting her building efforts and she'll move on (some don't get the message immediately but they eventually twig).

Queen wasps will abandon fledgling nests in busy thoroughfares. If you're concerned just keep an eye and if she does start building near by then keep disrupting her building efforts and she'll move on (some don't get the message immediately but they eventually twig).

Thanks. I am hoping that the presence of the bees will have put her off. Not seen her recently.

Two things to this:

There's me thinking tanalised wood should be good for quite some years. It's actually my neighbours fence and I'd rather have the wasps munching it :)

So glad people are leaving them alone these days. I have a friend who looks for nests and relocates them to his garden. I have another friend who is sending me daily posts of two V vulgaris nests in his shed. I'm told V vulgaris nests are very difficult to relocate as they are so delicate. The first clutch of workers are due to emerge any day now! Its quite exciting :)

I have a friend who looks for nests and relocates them to his garden.

V vulgaris nests are very difficult to relocate as they are so delicate.

Itchy have you spotted a gap, is this a service you are offering?
Might need to put a hold on those parties in the sun in the back garden though.

I think this has got to be the funniest concept I've heard in a long time.
I wonder if he does trapouts as well, or does he rely on a wasp vac?

So glad people are leaving them alone these days. I have a friend who looks for nests and relocates them to his garden. I have another friend who is sending me daily posts of two V vulgaris nests in his shed. I'm told V vulgaris nests are very difficult to relocate as they are so delicate. The first clutch of workers are due to emerge any day now! Its quite exciting :)

Know anyone who wants a nest in Warwickshire?
If taking its picture hasn't disrupted it, then I've got one starting up in an old bait box behind the shed.
Being in a box, it'll be easy to move, but where to?

starterhome.jpg

<edit> There's meant to a picture above, but I cant see it.
http://http://www.abasmith.co.uk/bees/starterhome.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies, I couldn't find anyone who can take the wasps. Such a shame.

Is there not a bit of local woodland you can move it to?

I get them nesting in the garden every year, in the garage, under the shed roof, under the teahouse ( don't ask) last one I moved was right by the front door.

I held a burlap sack underneath and dumped it in.

Tied the sack under a large tree branch in the woods and pulled the drawstring.

They built a magnificent nest there incorporating the sack into it.

Just let them get on with it if you can.

Last edited:
Apologies, I couldn't find anyone who can take the wasps. Such a shame.

Unfortunately, she does appear to have left the nest. I've checked the last three nights and it's been empty.
Letting it develop would have been a hard sell to my wife, so I'm a little bit relieved as well as disappointed.
I've just brought in in. There are eggs in it too:

starterhome1.jpg

I've spotted my mistake with my first post too. This is how it should have looked:

starterhome.jpg

It is fascinating that queens lay their eggs and then build the nursery around them thereby cutting down on lost time. Highly efficient and organised insects.

Aww such a shame. It happens sometimes. Its a perilous time for queens, and sometimes something just spooks them and they abandon. It is amazing how fast they work until their first workers emerge!

As a follow up, I dug another15 square metres three days ago and again there were two queens hunting around two small areas of the newly dug. They could have been the earlier queens trying again, I suppose.

Just glad I have got it done before workers emerged. I raked the whole lot yesterday and no activity, so I think I might be safe. Will rake it again, just to make sure...

Latest posts

Back