Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I was forking over a patch of garden, readying it for sowing on Friday.

In the space of 3-4m I dug out two wasp nests! (I forked over only about 10 square metres). One looked as though it may have been drowned out recently but the othe was active. Queenie was hunting around for her nest, but the larvae were were being eagerly devoured by a family of fledged robins (along with parents).

I hope this is not a good indication of how many wasp nests might be around this season, but definitely indicates the rest of that patch, at least, needs attention before those larvae could turn into workers!

RAB

I got buzzed by a worker in the garden this week - seems early?

No calls for wasps so far this year, and very few queens spotted (I'm in South East)
Previous years appear to have big variations regionally. Maybe it's Lincolnshire's turn for a busy wasp season.

I have one in a utility box presume it's the queen just building it's nest she comes out when I open the box

Attachments

• IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I have had 10 queen wasps in equipment. Mother in law had 3 in the house and 2 were chewing the fence on the allotment. I have never seen so many queens at his time of year. I have a terrible feeling of foreboding!!!!

There will be one less when my bees had gone to bed later on this evening I have an old bottle of roseclear with rotanone in it ready for commission

Please don't kill queen wasps prematurely unless absolutely unavoidable.

Wasps are an essential insect. It's important to preserve them for the good that they do. It's only the workers wasps later in the year that become a trifle troublesome and these can be managed quite adequately armed with the right knowledge.

I got buzzed by a worker in the garden this week - seems early?

My wife told me that we had a few wasps in the house the other day. My replay was "seems early".

Wasps are an essential insect. It's important to preserve them for the good that they do. It's only the workers wasps later in the year that become a trifle troublesome and these can be managed quite adequately armed with the right knowledge.

I know they do a lot of good I have a load of greenfly on my roses she can have. How would I god about moving her? Catch her in a jam jar maybe and take her for a drive to find a new home?

:iagree:
Wasps are a beneficial insect, I find numerous queens hibernating under the sides of roofs and never despatch them, i used to in years gone by. Fair enough they are a nuisance at the end of season but can be controlled with the correct measures.

There will be one less when my bees had gone to bed later on this evening I have an old bottle of roseclear with rotanone in it ready for commission

Great stuff - a beekeeper chucking insecticide around. Let's hope you never lose any bees to a spraying incident.

Wasps are a beneficial insect, I find numerous queens hibernating under the sides of roofs and never despatch them, i used to in years gone by. Fair enough they are a nuisance at the end of season but can be controlled with the correct measures.

Saw a queen wasp rootling around in my wax bucket in bee shed ~2 Thursday :D

Me too
A queen wasp was investigating one of the hives I looked through on Thursday. Just looking for a quick drink I suspect, she was huge!

Last year i would have disagreed and splattered everyone i seen but after being brought up to speed by Karol on wasp management my mind has now been changed, i have saved several over the winter and unless i start getting stung by them i will leave well alone.

Last year i would have disagreed and splattered everyone i seen but after being brought up to speed by Karol on wasp management my mind has now been changed, i have saved several over the winter and unless i start getting stung by them i will leave well alone.

I used to hunt nests down and with the belief that it would result in less wasps later. Leave alone they deserve a chance

Great stuff - a beekeeper chucking insecticide around. Let's hope you never lose any bees to a spraying incident.

FFS chucking??? Really is that what you think would happen just launch it everywhere ? And if you bothered to ready the rest of the post you can see I have tried to save it as advised

Get building those underfloor entrances i say . Let the wasps be .

Me too
A queen wasp was investigating one of the hives I looked through on Thursday. Just looking for a quick drink I suspect, she was huge!

Probably looking for ejected pupae on the landing board

Latest posts

Back