Wasp Traps - Experiment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maz0

In countries where they use bee sheds, Germany and Switzerland are the two I have seen myself, there are distinguishing marks over the shed entrances to aid with location.

Bernard Mobus had done the same at Craibstone for the four he had in the queen rearing shed which also doubled as a bee house for AI drones as early as possible.

PH
Thanks Poly, food for thought, I will do some more research on that subject!

The OP asked for other ideas for wasp bait, so here goes....
Trying to eradicate wasps around your hive with baits is futile, and possibly counterproductive, as the baits attract more wasps to your apiary.

A much better idea is prevent them getting into the hive. Darlington type or Kewl underfloor entrances are 100% effective in my experience. I have made all mine, but you can buy them

(https://www.theapiarist.org/kewl-floor/)

Trying to eradicate wasps around your hive with baits is futile, and possibly counterproductive, as the baits attract more wasps to your apiary.

A much better idea is prevent them getting into the hive. Darlington type or Kewl underfloor entrances are 100% effective in my experience. I have made all mine, but you can buy them

Some interesting points - thank you.
I also enjoy you have backed up your points with a insightful blog.

If anyone wants construction plans for underfloor entrances a lot less faff to make than those, they are welcome to PM me

cool as luck would have it ... the compost is downwind already :)

Just one word of caution mind. The wasps that programme sweet feed on the composted fruit will eventually look for alternatives once the fruit disappears. If this happens suddenly, for example by covering the fruit with a load of grass clippings, that will instantaneously interrupt their programmed feeding and you will get a swarm of wasps possibly coming up the plume to your hives. This artificially 'inflated' wasp pressure could present a challenge to your hives rather than allowing the fruit to gradually dissipate retarding the release of wasps feeding on it so that your hives are better placed to bat them away.

Just one word of caution mind. The wasps that programme sweet feed on the composted fruit will eventually look for alternatives once the fruit disappears. If this happens suddenly, for example by covering the fruit with a load of grass clippings, that will instantaneously interrupt their programmed feeding and you will get a swarm of wasps possibly coming up the plume to your hives. This artificially 'inflated' wasp pressure could present a challenge to your hives rather than allowing the fruit to gradually dissipate retarding the release of wasps feeding on it so that your hives are better placed to bat them away.

fair point ... actually much of the fruit is in a covered compost bin and I am a mulcher when mowing - anything to save time

No problem with rotting fruit here
Trees were groaning with blossom and bees then we got a frost and practically every set fruit dropped off 😥

Trying to eradicate wasps around your hive with baits is futile,

Based on nearly two decades of experience I would have to disagree. Wasp eradication around hives is entirely possible but as with all things this requires detailed knowledge of wasp behaviour and the correct design of trap.

and possibly counterproductive, as the baits attract more wasps to your apiary.

Whole heartedly agree if low efficiency traps are used.

Underfloor and tunnel entrances are a must but if the wasp pressure is high enough even these measures may be overwhelmed.

Talking of wasp pressure, one of the factors influencing wasp pressure is heavy rainfall. Hives will be at higher risk immediately after strong persistant rainfall.

Talking of wasp pressure, one of the factors influencing wasp pressure is heavy rainfall. Hives will be at higher risk immediately after strong persistant rainfall.

Thanks for the heads up. It's been peeing down here all day and there have already been lots of wasps about over the past week or so.

I was cleaning my extractor out today in the garden and I got absolutely tortured..they where buzzing everywhere and I don't like it when I can hear them around my head but can not see them..I should have done what I was going to yesterday to a nest near by.. I changed my mind yesterday and left them alone but today was enough i can't be done with them buzzing around my face.

Hives will be at higher risk immediately after strong persistant rainfall.

Why?
Neither wasps nor bees fly during strong persistent rainfall.
Hives will also be at their strongest as all the girls are in.

Not during but immediately after. Heavy rainfall washes away the sugars from high sapping plants such as Lime trees and interrupts programmed sweet feeding. The wasps so interrupted are mobilized to look for sugars elsewhere and it's a double whammy because the number of sweet food sources will be vastly diminished meaning more wasp attention is focused on surviving sweet food sources namely beehives and the like. The reduction in easily available surface sugars results in starvation and more concerted desparate attempts to overwhelm hives.

Any peer reviewed research to back up your layman assumptions?

There comes a point when you wonder why you bother ... I can see thebcommmon sense in this ...not sure I need a peer reviewed paper to establish the bloody obvious... mind you - having seen a few PhD theses over the years there are clearly a number of academics that do !

I agree.i have advised using these for a couple of years. They are do easy and work well. If you get loads of flies in there all you have to do is remove the insert, tape the hole and put the lot in the bin!
E
Hi Eric (enrico) - so they duly arrived and got myself some z(c)ider (hick burp)

so if I cut a slit in a 2 litre water bottle and insert the yellow plastic thing ... they dont really sit securely ... is there a knack ?

^^ These landed the other day (Amazon), I've used a few old syrup containers and tipped some fruit juice and beer into them, lots of dead wasps already.

Fitted them on the corner edge for ref.

Wasps are the worst I've ever known this year.

Entrances reduced on strong colonies causing a wall of bees and still they're trying to gain access.

Found a ground nest 2 yards from one apiary - bye bye

Latest posts

Back