Wasp trap bait

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
What do people use and find effective for wasp trap bait?
I had a recent wasp problem, now sorted though there are still plenty around.
The waspbane trap I loaded with half a bottle of mild, some orange juice & zest, and sugar, has caught zero wasps!

cheapest beer from aldi or lidl in alloy can(not glass bottle),+ spoon of sugar,100% successfully,after some wasp drawing start release additional protein smell,and you have attractor for hornets

Fermented sweet (so that the bees do not approach) with a light amber/red tone and the smell of berries (blueberry, currant, red grape) or with a yellow tone and the smell of herbs (mint, chamomile, lemon verbena, rosemary , oregano, thyme, coriander, orange blossom, fennel, licorice, nutmeg and cinnamon, which are the originals for the well-known Galician distillate of "herbal liquor").
Put the trap in:
camellias, azaleas or rhododendrons in spring, in stone fruit trees in summer and in pome fruit trees (apple, pear) or vine and fig tree in autumn.

Put the trap in:
camellias, azaleas or rhododendrons in spring, in stone fruit trees in summer and in pome fruit trees (apple, pear) or vine and fig tree in autumn.
I think we are talking about traps to catch ordinary wasps not Asian hornets

cheap aldi larger and cheap co-op mixed fruit jam.
Large jar as possible with upturned 2lt pop bottle upside down with 4 holes on the curved bit next to the jar (so rain water doesn't get in).
Result: a stinking mass of wasps by autumn.

Cheap jam, cut up rotten apples, sugar, water, dash of vinegar (to deter bees before fermentation starts : once it does then no need).
Traps full to bursting with wasps

I drink cheap lager..too good to waste

Why does every one want ot attract even more wasps to the apiary/colonies ?
In my case it was to trap wasps who had been raiding my nuc. I moved the nuc away and placed the wasp trap where the nuc had been. The wasps that came never left, so I had quite a few in the trap and eventually none came so I removed the trap.
K ;)

If one moved the targeted nuc away, it seems pointless to carry on killing the wasps unless othe rnuce were nearby to be targeted.

In times to come one may be grateful for the wasps as thye may be come prey for V.v should they get a firm hold in the UK and the NBU becomes overwhelmed with nests and short of funds.

Latest posts

Back