Best wasp traps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Following on from a recent thread I thought I would ask opinions on the most effective wasp traps. Waspbane has been mentioned. What is people's experience with that or others?

Waspbane are what I use if I have to protect a small nuc but I haven’t had to do that since taking the advice from others on here to make sure all colonies are really strong and boxes are on UFE

Waspbane works ... not cheap but far more effective than home made jam jar type traps. You need to read the instructions and check their website for honeybee pertinent information.. Waspbane saved a nuc I had two years ago that was targetted by wasps. As Dani said though - wasps won't attempt to overrun a strong colony.

There are some good cheap plastic ones that fit over a normal water bottle, we just fill them with a little jam and trickle water over it to drown the wasps, works a treat for us 😊

There are some good cheap plastic ones that fit over a normal water bottle, we just fill them with a little jam and trickle water over it to drown the wasps, works a treat for us 😊
What they must not do is let any wasps escape ... if one gets back to it's mates then the whole colony will be heading for the trap and they will find any weak hive in the vicinity. The waspbane trap does not let any wasps that get in there leave and the attractant that is used does not seem to attract other species of insect.

Best wasp traps are none at all. They do tend to encourage wasps towards/into the apiary.

Not inviting them in and having strong colonies is, by far, the best way to go. Weak colonies, poor feeding techniques, boxes of wet frames, etc all help to get wasps around the hives.

We don’t use them in the apiaries but in the surrounding areas, we don’t want to attract wasps to an area with bees present.

Following on from a recent thread I thought I would ask opinions on the most effective wasp traps. Waspbane has been mentioned. What is people's experience with that or others?
The standard Waspbane is catching hornets. Mark Two had bee escapes added....still catching them so Mark Three in place tonight

774b9793-d79c-4d14-8501-75e97d99d0ea.jpg

461b3529-0158-41ad-a044-35e020611c37.jpg

Sorry in advance, I do hope its not another 12 page job :confused:

I have always been at loss to understand why beekeepers trying to protect hives from invaders put attractants next to the hive instead of a few mts away ;)
I had used these some years ago but they are soooo expensive, unless they have now dropped in price ?

Only waspbane
Any homemade trap is asking for trouble. Looked in the top of one colony yesterday. Fighting four or five wasps on the top bars. Bees very agitated. Don’t like to see that if I can divert them into a trap.
Expense is no issue.

:confused: Waspbanes are the best with dispute
Exspence is no issue :unsure: for the clever amongst us.

Latest posts

Back