Wasp Bane refills are expensive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's many months since the merits or demerits of WB have been discussed here. The kit is expensive; Complete set £28.60, refill £20 at Thorne's - about the going price on Amazon etc.
https://www.thorne.co.uk/search?s=wasp+bane
I believe the manufacturers have designed it to be difficult to dismantle and refill with one's own wasp bait, however I've managed it.

But what is the WB bait? Obviously a trade secret but I researched a few other advertised baits (all @ a few ££) and found that all but one don't disclose their 'non-chemical'/'natural'/'non toxic' ingredients. The one that did = vinegar and sucrose!

Accordingly I placed water, vinegar, sugar and a drop of washing-up liquid (to speed up drowning and reduce the wasps struggling for hours in the liquid) in my two dismantled Wasp Banes and placed them yesterday in my home apiary which has had a wasp problem++ this year. Both gave a similar yield of wasps in 24 hours.

Now, I know there is a lot of mumbo-jumbo on the Wasp Bane website, WaspBane | Wasp Traps from WaspBane but I reckon that reusing the WB with one's own bait is th eeconomical way to go, even if it means more frequent refills.

Attachments

• 06E7FE7A-EB15-473F-A38D-4D401BA04576.jpeg
    06E7FE7A-EB15-473F-A38D-4D401BA04576.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 1D85FABD-1CD6-4D91-B05F-0D9F13706240.jpeg
    1D85FABD-1CD6-4D91-B05F-0D9F13706240.jpeg
    886.8 KB · Views: 1
But what is the WB bait? Obviously a trade secret
if you know a pest controller, have a word, you can buy wasp bait from a supplier for about £40.00 a gallon, they have various brands of wasp trap refills on Amazon as well for about a tenner a litre.
SWMBO bought these traps during lockdown as she spent most of the summer on the patio, I actually kept an eye on one for hours when I was bored one day and never saw one wasp escape once it had gone in.
fb.jpg

I refill mine with coke and jam! You can dismantle with a little persuasion.

I use pop bottles filled with Aldi jam and coke. Costs pence. They're filling up nicely with wasps at the moment and I'm now starting to see European hornets getting caught in there too. They're always slightly behind the wasps with regards to being attracted to the traps.

I don't set traps, it's always seemed odd to attract what you don't want.
One of my apiaries is on the edge of a private wood. There are loads of wasps and hornets in there. I would rather give them something that appears easier than raiding a hive.

Not seen many wasps at all. Stan mowed the fields this year. Normally he unearths a few wasp nests from the mole tunnels. Nothing at all. No frogs hopping about either.

I'm now starting to see European hornets getting caught in there too.
That’s awful. That happened to me one year but only once. I reduced the cone size to stop them getting in. I haven’t used a wasp trap since. I hope you’re letting them go

That’s awful. That happened to me one year but only once. I reduced the cone size to stop them getting in. I haven’t used a wasp trap since. I hope you’re letting them go
I have caught a couple of hornets in my waspbanes, but I'm afraid I couldn't see any way of releasing them. I would have loved to.

I have caught a couple of hornets in my waspbanes, but I'm afraid I couldn't see any way of releasing them. I would have loved to.
Reduce the size of the cones so that they can’t get in.
When I caught one I demolished the trap
Put these in F41BD4E7-D230-4FE0-873B-8266E795A4B9.jpeg

There attracted anyway….wasps early in the season work the front of the hives for the dead and dying, every wasp in the area is aware of them!

Im here to learn, I will reduce the cone size tomorrow. What is the best way to manage them? I can get 20 or more at a time around the hives.

You don't believe in mouse traps, fly paper, warfarin-baited rat poison, the role of femme fatale in warfare?;)

Last edited:
Back