wasp traps and refillable bane

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Can anyone comment on this product from one of the main regular suppliers?

I lost a number of hives during the summer to wasps... even a couple of strong ones.

I also lost a hive to a neighbouring farmer. He was having wasp issues so he put a 1/4 drum of sweet stuff to try and attract the wasps away from his house and horses to try and drown them.
Unfortunately, I think it also attracted my strongest and most productive hive that collapsed in a couple of weeks. (his drum was also half filled with bees)
He was horrified and very apologetic. (but is a good chap trying to do the right thing, and won't do it again!)

although my wasp traps worked really well in 2010, i caught a good number but did not dent the wasp population last year.
The wasp traps and bane is quite expensive and i'd need to buy a number of them. However, if they are as good as they say they are, I would splash out.

I tried one last year, have to say it was spot on. Did more than 4 of my home made coke bottle traps did put together. Will be using again!

If your farmer had dropped the contents of a bottle of vinegar into the drum of sweet stuff then the bees would probably have stayed away.

best way try and find the nest they fly like bees in a straight line just look which way they go pair of binoculars helps as well once you start to loose sight walk to that point and try to spot them again and repeat till you find nest might take a day but problem solved

I used one and had a chat with Karol about wasp behaviour and why these traps, though catching fewer wasps than bottle traps, work.
They are much more effective in retaining the insects preventing them returning to the nest to report their booty.
Put one trap downwind of your hives before wasps start becoming a problem.
We are in sheep country here and I caught a lot of flies but the wasps were certainly at the entrances in nowhere near the numbers of the previous year.
It pays to reduce the entrances to a few bee spaces as well.
This year the wooden hive is getting a Dartington type floor/entrance and that may help too.

Latest posts

Back