Wasp Traps - Experiment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t use sugar water/syrup you will trap bees. Keep it fruity or fermenting alcohol some mixes get better with age. Also atm you may find meaty options out perform sugar based wasps switch to sugar once grub rearing finishes

I have six wasp bane traps three at each site very effective non escape read the web pages there has been a lot of research gone into it.

I've tried these for the last couple of years. Work great and these are the cheapest I can find with quick delivery.
Hope this helps.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Wa...720750?hash=item1efdc75fee:g:VSIAAOSwAyddIxcp

Just copy and paste the lot in FleaBay

I agree.i have advised using these for a couple of years. They are do easy and work well. If you get loads of flies in there all you have to do is remove the insert, tape the hole and put the lot in the bin!
E

I have six wasp bane traps three at each site very effective non escape read the web pages there has been a lot of research gone into it.

I have no wasp traps at four different sites and have no problems with wasps.
Perhaps you might not need any either?

I agree.i have advised using these for a couple of years. They are do easy and work well. If you get loads of flies in there all you have to do is remove the insert, tape the hole and put the lot in the bin!
E

Some people like to waste their money though - even if it’s just a couple of moulded pieces of plastic. Just look at the money some spend beekeeping unnecessary equipment.

That is well over 300 quid in traps that Yeovil is using. Nice earner for .......

Last edited:
interesting tho about the prevailing wind on Karol's site

personally I think its interesting conjecture and grateful for this laundry to be aired annually but perhaps we'd be better off with two threads

Thread 1 = 'Karol minus haters' - place to air wasp threads without a slanging match

Thread 2 = 'Karol plus haters' - place to pick holes and have a slanging match

My preference would be to have an inclusive thread for all without the slanging match. Sadly though there are some that simply can't get past their prejudices no matter what consequences to the wider audience.

I do grasp the concept though I would like to know if this has been proven, and over what range.

If you are talking in terms of range then you haven't grasped the concept. It's about understanding where the points of draw are and how to manipulate the environment to increase the effectiveness of integrated wasp management measures. Prevailing wind direction is important and changes throughout the year which will influence wasp approach to points of draw.

I have no wasp traps at four different sites and have no problems with wasps.
Perhaps you might not need any either?

Same here, at six sites.
Lost two in fifteen years, for good reason, and as as EHB said: I’ve never since let myself get into a situation where I am managing a colony that can’t defend itself

Wasp densities vary considerably around the country and life can lob a few unexpected screw balls. So for example if you have hives in the vicinity of a wooded theme park, the 'wasp pressure' will be very different to having hives embedded in arable land with few nesting sites and little to support large wasp populations. Similarly, one can't plan for a vandal or even high winds coming and up ending a hive exposing it to wasps.

Wasp densities vary considerably around the country and life can lob a few unexpected screw balls. So for example if you have hives in the vicinity of a wooded theme park, the 'wasp pressure' will be very different to having hives embedded in arable land with few nesting sites and little to support large wasp populations. Similarly, one can't plan for a vandal or even high winds coming and up ending a hive exposing it to wasps.

Amen to that, mine all must be coming from Alton Towers :)

Karol is there any evidence that the presence of bees promotes an increase in wasp nest density over time - a form of predator/prey relationship?

Amen to that, mine all must be coming from Alton Towers :)

Karol is there any evidence that the presence of bees promotes an increase in wasp nest density over time - a form of predator/prey relationship?

Anecdotally there is. That said it's not just simply the presence of bees. Wasps also have to have access to significant amounts of insect prey and suitable nesting sites so topography plays a big part as well.

As for being close to Alton towers then you have my sympathy. They no longer follow active nest eradication programmes (save where the nests are a direct threat to human health) because it is counterproductive to do so. In short you will remain lumbered with high wasp pressure and I suspect you will need additional protective measures as a result.

Hmm … a vandal trap - what bait should I use? :)

The last incident I assisted with was really pitiful. By the time the beek discovered the hive the wasp attack was in full frenzied mode. That said the hive was saved.

It would seem that it is single hive owners that are at risk from wasps.
As has been said earlier if a hive is weak then next door hive(s) will outcompete any local wasp populations for the resources.

It would seem that it is single hive owners that are at risk from wasps.
As has been said earlier if a hive is weak then next door hive(s) will outcompete any local wasp populations for the resources.

I have just recently re-situated my hives in a type of bee-shed, only closed on 2 sides though. At the moment, all 4 are all facing in the same direction and close proximity, counter to advice I'm reading in Ted Hoopers book, so I'm considering if I will need to paint shapes or squint the hives slightly in different directions..... I have one hive that is really weak in comparison to the others (a split before several weeks of bad weather), and I have noticed that although there are wasps constantly focusing it, they hover around, get close to the strong hives and get chased off.....

Is there a strength in numbers with regards to close proximity hives vs the wasps? Like a communal defence? I'm aware I could be encouraging robbing between my hives with this set up, but is it better to have your own bee's robbing each other than wasps destroying hives?

The weak hive is slowly getting stronger I should add so hopefully it will be able to fight its own battles soon.

Apiary orientation does play a role. If you have a weaker hive setting it upwind of stronger hives may provide a degree of communal protection. Wasps have limited power packs that they need to refuel after circa 50 minutes of continuous activity. If you have strong tunnel or underfloor entrances with long line of entry that make it difficult for wasps to get in, those wasps that get batted away will be forced to refuel at other food sources. That will encourage them to programme feed away from your hives. This is the ideal situation to be in, i.e. successfully batting away solitary scouting wasps. For this to be particularly effective you need to be fastidious about ensuring there are no other food sources in the vicinity of your hives such as honey spills or hive kit contaminated with honey or fallen fruit or indeed low efficiency wasp traps. The further wasps programme feed away from your hives the safer they will be later in the season. Whatever you do do not squash wasps on your hive. That is a recipe for inviting disaster through alarm pheromone recruitment.

ensuring there are no other food sources in the vicinity of your hives such as honey spills or hive kit contaminated with honey or fallen fruit or indeed low efficiency wasp traps. The further wasps programme feed away from your hives the safer they will be later in the season. Whatever you do do not squash wasps on your hive. That is a recipe for inviting disaster through alarm pheromone recruitment.[/QUOTE

good info ... so collect the windfalls and compost them - point to note

maz0

In countries where they use bee sheds, Germany and Switzerland are the two I have seen myself, there are distinguishing marks over the shed entrances to aid with location.

Bernard Mobus had done the same at Craibstone for the four he had in the queen rearing shed which also doubled as a bee house for AI drones as early as possible.

PH

ensuring there are no other food sources in the vicinity of your hives such as honey spills or hive kit contaminated with honey or fallen fruit or indeed low efficiency wasp traps. The further wasps programme feed away from your hives the safer they will be later in the season. Whatever you do do not squash wasps on your hive. That is a recipe for inviting disaster through alarm pheromone recruitment.[/QUOTE

good info ... so collect the windfalls and compost them - point to note

If you do compost them I would suggest that you do so down wind of the hives if you can. That way the wasps will stop at the fruit before reaching your hives.

Back