Wasp Traps - Experiment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EJackson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have created 5 small wasp traps and I am going to run a but of citizen science to test different baits.

Bottle 1 - Coke Classic
Bottle 2 - Sugar Water
Bottle 3 - Jam
Bottle 4 - Cider
Bottle 5 - Jam and Cider Mix

Please let me know if you have better bait ideas to try.
Or feel free to make a comment below on which you think will be the most effective.

I will post results in a couple of days.

Attachments

• Trap.jpg
    Trap.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 83
Don't forget wind direction, spatial arrangement and plumes.

Don't forget wind direction, spatial arrangement and plumes.

I don't need to, all traps will be in close proximity to each other and operating at once.

So you'll be crossing plumes from different baits. Nothing like good science.

I use high alcohol cider. It really works. It has to be over 4.5 percent. The cheap stuff the drunks in the park drink!!
E
E

I use high alcohol cider. It really works. It has to be over 4.5 percent
E

Not sure what your personal drinking habits have to do with wasp traps.☺�� But from my own personal experience high alcohol cider really hits the spot..��
As long as EJ swaps bottles around it will compensate for any artificially introduced positional influences.

Last edited:
I was planning on doing the same but with different styles of traps. I would attempt to do it Karol's method though, border of my field next to a forest with lots of space between them.

I think yours might just cause a frenzy of wasps which will be difficult to identify which of the baits attracts them, as opposed to which trap they choose to enter...

I was planning on doing the same but with different styles of traps. I would attempt to do it Karol's method though, border of my field next to a forest with lots of space between them.

I think yours might just cause a frenzy of wasps which will be difficult to identify which of the baits attracts them, as opposed to which trap they choose to enter...

My plan was to rotate them around like beefriendly said.

I did think that as a second step the trap design could be tweaked once the best bait was found.

Just out of interest what designs of traps were you considering?

My plan was to rotate them around like beefriendly said.

I did think that as a second step the trap design could be tweaked once the best bait was found.

Just out of interest what designs of traps were you considering?
there are a few on amazon that people have recommended, some cheap, some more expensive but maybe the top 3 commercial and 1 home made cola-classic as you called it :)

The diagrams have no scale so it doesn't really make any sense.
They also have an agenda to sell traps - this taints the information on the page.

My take from the page is "you cant control the wind, therefore buy more traps"

I am not sure on Waspbane - has anyone tried them?

Last edited:
The diagrams have no scale so it doesn't really make any sense.
They also have an agenda to sell traps - this taints the information on the page.

My take from the page is "you cant control the wind, therefore buy more traps"

I am not sure on Waspbane - has anyone tried them?

You don't need a scale to grasp the concept.

Bit like believing the advertising blurb on Monsanto's websites saying how harmless their pesticide's are to bees and the environment.

Buy one and try it?
They worked for me the one season I didn’t understand about colony strength and the one season my bee numbers collapsed and while they were recovering I really needed them.
I’ve never since let myself get into a situation where I am managing a colony that can’t defend itself

Buy one and try it?
They worked for me the one season I didn’t understand about colony strength and the one season my bee numbers collapsed and while they were recovering I really needed them.
I’ve never since let myself get into a situation where I am managing a colony that can’t defend itself

interesting tho about the prevailing wind on Karol's site

personally I think its interesting conjecture and grateful for this laundry to be aired annually but perhaps we'd be better off with two threads

Thread 1 = 'Karol minus haters' - place to air wasp threads without a slanging match

Thread 2 = 'Karol plus haters' - place to pick holes and have a slanging match

interesting tho about the prevailing wind on Karol's site

personally I think its interesting conjecture and grateful for this laundry to be aired annually but perhaps we'd be better off with two threads

Thread 1 = 'Karol minus haters' - place to air wasp threads without a slanging match

Thread 2 = 'Karol plus haters' - place to pick holes and have a slanging match

Yes prevailing wind has quite a bearing on other things whether you believe in plumes or not. We have our hives in a line east/west roughly. The prevailing wind is south westerly. The most easterly hive always has the most bees and the most varroa.

Latest posts

Back