Wasp extermination ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day we were asked if we would consider becoming the European distributor for a 'terminator' fake wasp nest. After pretty extensive testing we declined because the product doesn't work. At the time we did the testing the packaging stated that the fake nests should be taken down after two hours because wasps aren't stupid. The packaging then changed to say if one fake nest didn't do the job, buy some more!!! Suffice it to say went to one zoo that had about thirty hanging up and was still over run with wasps. If we weren't so ethical we'd have made a mint by now had we become the European distributor - cost price 25p, retail price circa £14.

Treating wasp nests won't necessarily help and may make things much worse if not done correctly.

If the nest you are referring to is really busy with high volume of forager traffic it probably means the nest is still in the hunting phase. If the wasps attacking your nucs are going after honey then the nest is unlikely to be the culprit. If however, the attacking wasps are going after brood or the bees themselves for protein then it very well may be.

If you use pesticide at the sentry point to the nest during daylight hours, i.e. after the foragers have starting flying, you risk converting hunting wasps into sweet feeding wasps which will simply add pressure on your hives. Treating the sentry point incapacitates the sentries which has the effect of removing landing rights for the returning foragers so they don't all enter the nest and don't all die. It does mean that wasps that would otherwise be fed sugars regurgitated by the grubs in their nest are denied their sweet food source so will be forced to convert to sweet feeding, i.e. potentially start attacking your hives.

If you need to treat a nest, the best way is either vacuuming because with this method you are eliminating foragers which means they can't then morph into sweet feeding wasps or if using pesticide then at night using a foam to seal the nest entrance(s) directly (not the sentry point) with a fatal dose then injected directly into the centre of the nest.

Just to follow up on Karol’s point above:
Half a mile away two houses had wasp nests in wall cavities with wasps entering through air bricks. They were dealt with by exterminators mid week. I now have significantly more wasps in my garden, becoming a real nuisance.

Just to follow up on Karol’s point above:
Half a mile away two houses had wasp nests in wall cavities with wasps entering through air bricks. They were dealt with by exterminators mid week. I now have significantly more wasps in my garden, becoming a real nuisance.

But dont we all as beeks see an increase in wasp activity week on week this time of season?

Hi Ian,
Yes we do, so perhaps it’s not related, but with such a marked increase, my guess is, it is.
I posted, trying to be helpful to those about to destroy wasp nests near their apiaries to consider Karol’s point.

For information about bees and wasp you can look on ajverminatorpestcontrol.com . I heard that they do have a support hotline there. The number should be on the home page if my memory is still intact. Anyways, I've never personally given them a phone call since I could most find the answers I need in the Q&A section. Things've always been tricky when it comes to animals, even house pets like cats or dogs. I can imagine how trickier it can get with bees. I'm a bee lover too but tbh I sometimes do have a rather love/hate relationship with them, lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back