Warming cabinet plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not having looked at the other forum, I would say, with all due respect, that a dimmer switch would need extra components (in the thyristor gate control circuit) to be able to regulate the temperature. A plain dimmer (a thyristor controlled circuit normally) will only alter the heat output, not control the temperature (well, not automatically, that is).

RAB

Fris no need to get in a tis over this. I am not making you read it. I simply asked as I am not the only one with no electronics training.
I did miss the thread on the other forum thanks for posting about it.

Sorry VEG I'm not getting into a tis, but the postings on here are getting increasingly complicated, having said right at the beginning that you don't understand electricity (and I'm in the same boat here) it's all going a bit ott.

Frisbee

thermostat

take a look at this site use them a lot for plumbing bits and peices
they do a stem stat with 1/2" stem. drill hole in box screw in stem
slide stat into stem wire up and away you go.Calibration accuracy
+/- 3%

link

www.bes,co.uk

part No 9778

I find that asking the same question in two different places might be considered bad net ettiquette. At least one group is going to feel a bit used at some point. It's all down to confidence and a bit of respect.

That said, The device that Admin showed and advised that the thermistor could be remoted into the box on a piece of cable. Use a screened cable if possible or at least twisted to minimise interference pick up, from nearby transmitters for example. Remember, a transmitter somewhere is looking for you! :grouphug:

73, LOVE & KISSes :)

Read it properly Hombre and you will see it started out as two different questions.One about plans for making the warming cabinet. The other for how I was going to get my mashed up honey through my filters in my honey tank with a simple heater.
No one is making you read it. If you dont like it then dont post.
You seem to make a lot of posts about other peoples questions without actually contributing to it.
And i have the greatest of respect for people on this site who give their usefull knowledge freely.

Last edited:
I can't see anything wrong with posting the same question on 2 different sites. You will get more answers to enhance your knowledge which is why you posted in the first place.

Whilst the members on this forum have lots of knowledge and are inevitably helpful they do not know absolutely everything about beekeeping although some obviously think they do.

LOL

There is a huge difference between knowing... and knowing what WILL work.

PH

Whilst the members on this forum have lots of knowledge and are inevitably helpful they do not know absolutely everything about beekeeping although some obviously think they do.

Surely having such a variety of knowledge available in one source is a great tool to have?:grouphug:

And lets face it where the bees are concerned we are all still learning with knew problems being thrown at us each year.

ATB, Col.

VEG, I'm in the same boat as you here - my freezer has just packed up and I'd like to try to convert it into a warming cabinet but have no idea how to do it (all the technical stuff is way over my head I'm afraid).
So, I intend to do what I always do in this situation - find a friend or someone locally who can do it for me and offer to pay them in honey or do them a favour in return. Works every time!

What's too technical about a plug, a length of cable and a light bulb :biggrinjester: ?

John Wilkinson

It's the thermostat bit that I'd be unsure about. Obviously didn't pay enough attention in science classes at school!
I'm sure it's simple if you know what you're doing but I'd be worried about burning the house down ;-)

It's the thermostat bit that I'd be unsure about. Obviously didn't pay enough attention in science classes at school!
I'm sure it's simple if you know what you're doing but I'd be worried about burning the house down ;-)

No need for a thermostat !.
Just choose the wattage of bulb to hold the temperature required .
A simple max-min greenhouse thermometer will help you monitor this :D

John Wilkinson

No need for a thermostat !.
Just choose the wattage of bulb to hold the temperature required .
A simple max-min greenhouse thermometer will help you monitor this :D

John Wilkinson

Thanks - never thought of using a thermometer. Obvious I suppose. I'll give it a try.

My new warming cabinet is now up and running - old fridge, inspection lamp with 40 watt bulb, thermometer. Job done - piece of cake.

Im going 2 use a small freezer thats no longer needed. This question may sound silly 2 some does the bulb have 2 go under the bucket. Would there be enough heat hung over the bucket?????????

Hot air rises!

Just done one. 2 light bulbs on bottom of old upright freezer. Dimmer switch on outside as per Hedgerow Pete. Monitored by an old greenhouse thermo I had ( includes Max and Min), hung on outside of cabinet, with a probe to the inside.

Took about an hour to make. Gives good control of temp.

Thurrock - don't you use a metal plate to deflect the light bulb to prevent hot spots ?

I use a cabinet that has a bar heater in it, on wheels so I can move it, with a nice thermostat on the side, separate isolation with fuse....works a treat.

S

Latest posts

Back