Heat warming pad??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I won't be able to bottle my honey for a few weeks and although I have it contained in the house, it's still cold.
I have everything to make a honey warming cabinet except the time!
As a result I was thinking of getting a brewers heat pad.

Has anyone used one for this purpose and if so, how did you find it?

I'm not sure it would generate sufficient heat, to be honest. Fermentation temperature for beer is usually around 20°C to 22°C and it's exothermic too, so heat pads probably don't need to push out that much heat.

If you could get an old fridge from Freecycle or similar and buy a small greenhouse heater and temperature controller you could probably knock up something that would do the job in half an hour.

And you could use it for making beer, too :D

James

I won't be able to bottle my honey for a few weeks and although I have it contained in the house, it's still cold.

Let it set and invest in one of these - solves the problem Will take a 30lb bucket (round or square) or up to 18 jars. Brilliant bit of kit. Useless for jam making but loads of other uses.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/food-drink-makers/jam-and-preserve-maker/1467527247
A bargain - even with a few pounds for a courier ... crumbs, I'm tempted to buy a second one - Dani has two !!

Last edited:
do your frames fit in it?
They will .. but you would only get a couple of brood frames at a time in there, a few more super frames - I have an elderly (and much abused) Burco boiler which will take five or six super frames and from a processing point of view that's about ideal .. by the time you work through five frames in rotation there is very little scrubbing required, for what they cost second hand a Burco boiler is a better tool for frame cleaning - (although the cheapest way is probably half an oil drum on an open fire !!)

Having had to leave my old solar wax extractor at my old home, I made a new one as soon as we were settled. I came across a 450×450×450 box in scrap heap. I deal I thought as could use one of my clear crown boards as the lid. It has not worked well. It is too deep. Despite insulation the wax solidifies as it is dropping into the collection tin. I will build another from scratch.
In the meantime I will use my old burco for wax recovery before it goes on to cleaning frames.
Just on lookout for suitable size of double glazing panel in a scrap heap

Having had to leave my old solar wax extractor at my old home, I made a new one as soon as we were settled. I came across a 450×450×450 box in scrap heap. I deal I thought as could use one of my clear crown boards as the lid. It has not worked well. It is too deep. Despite insulation the wax solidifies as it is dropping into the collection tin. I will build another from scratch.
In the meantime I will use my old burco for wax recovery before it goes on to cleaning frames.
Just on lookout for suitable size of double glazing panel in a scrap heap
You don't need double glazing for a solar wax melter ... a sheet of greenhouse glass is sufficient .. the insulaton at the sides and on the base keeps the heat in. MIne, with a single sheet of greenhouse glass, managed to melt a plastic greenhouse thermometer !!

We have one made from an old polystyrene fish box and light bulbs, no thermostat which you are welcome to, just needs collecting?

We have one made from an old polystyrene fish box and light bulbs, no thermostat which you are welcome to, just needs collecting?
Many Thanks Steve.

Only just seen your reply due to a busy few days. Will bare you in mind and let you know.

Latest posts

Back