Warming cabinet plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mentioned light bulbs as it was what I used to use. Then of course they were freely available and I in fact used 100W ones x 3 for my warmer which took some 12 buckets so some 360 lbs at a time. Over night it took solid rape to near liquid and depending on the outside tepm dictated how long it took to get to liquid.

The critical thing here is safety. Safety both of the operator and the honey.

Some sort of thermostat is a must I think as it is VERY easy for the heat to build up, more so in a small unit, and honey is easily damaged.

PH

Computer ventilator would be good inside those closed systems.

51218645_1.jpg

Last edited:
On a slightly diferent aspect.

I used to have a warm air blower to stand the supers on to a, help warm the honey for extraction and b, to dry off any open cells.

One morning the windows at Craibstone were dripping water and the heather was at er.... 17%... Expensive condensation that...LOL

PH

the safe aspect of a standard lamp under a tank of honey with a brood box frame is not much of a problem if its a 40 w bulb the only real issue is the covering it with a blanket as that traps the heat but with no blanket there is gaps at each corner to let the heat out so i ant that bothered

Only problem with pc fans is they will need a different voltage as they are 12V, and the bulbs are 240V.

OSR will go liquid in a warming cabinet. Or did I imagine two tons a year doing so?

Not to mention my mentor using a warming room liquifying goodness knows how many tons a year for creaming.

PH

for these small portable heaters I would use them in the house too, why let the heat go to waste in the middle of Winter...... watch those £££s

things are seeming to be getting too complicated, all i feel you need is a insulated wooden box, with either blubs or heater element and a optional termostat. thats it.

TB

The more complicated the more protental problems with it

Last edited:
What sort of thermostat I have looked but I know nothing about them. If you could post a link to something that would be great. :cheers2:

No that is too open, it needs to be a closed one with a probe going into the cabinet.

I agree. KISS guys.

Old chest freezer, bulb and thermo. Some one can surely post a diagram for the electrics for that.

PH

You can put it in a Maplin box and run a short lead into the cabinet,fix the box on the side of the cabinet.

The Thermistor does not have to be joined straight to the pcb like in the picture..

I would use:

Small piece of vero board.

741 IC

Power transistor.

Relay.

Couple or three capacitors, resistors, a bit of solder and a soldering iron.

DC power supply.

Oh, and a thermistor.

All components inside a box, inside the warming cabinet (because when the cabinet is up to temperature, the DC power supply may well be using enough energy to maintain the temperature!).

All bits would come from the electronics box in the cupboard or out in the workshop.

If you are not handy with a soldering iron and transistors/ICs, then think about the bought-in option. A simple room thermostat may go high enough for warming honey but not for liquifying it. A simple bi-metal thermostatic switch at the correct temperature would be adequate for most. Fixed temperature ones are used in washing machines to control the washing temperatures, for example.

There are just too many DIY options available to list all the possibilities for this simple heating arrangement. You just employ the cheapest and/or available items, which happen to be around at the time. But be electrically safe - enough under-space to accommodate a leak, proper enclosures and earth connections, etc.

Regards, RAB

Point me in the direction of one allready made up :cheers2:

As said before I have no idea about electrickery. I press/turn it on it works is about as far as my understanding goes.:cheers2:

Lol Admin are you asking me if that one is ok I need someone to say buy one of these then put a link to it.

Oh and something relatively cheap as I am not working at the moment.

Last edited:
FFS guys.............

For once in your life VEG you've not double posted on the you-know-where forum, but they have an excellent thread in the DIY and Maintenance, offering much more simple advice, such as using a dimmer switch for the bulb to control the temperature. On the second page someone offers the information for how much heat a xxx watt bulb produces over so many hours in a warming cabinet copied from the Thorne's catalogue.

Poly Hive...
bowing-036.gif
K I S S

Frisbee

Shortage of storage space forced me to design a solar extractor that also doubles as a warming cabinet and a steam extractor. Quite an easy transition when I want to use it as a warming cabinet it is designed so that the hinged double glazing unit comes off and I can insert a Cellotex sheet into the recess and through the hole I have bunged up with a port wine cork when its in use as a solar extracter I mount a bayonet light fitting. When I want to use it as a steam extractor I use this same hole to feed a pipe through from a wall paper stripper. 3 for the price of one just a little extra work ensuring that shelf and slats can be inserted. The whole of the box made from 18 & 12mm ply is lined with foil covered cellotex and where the inside corners meet these are joined with 2.5 inch foil tape as used by air con engineers.

Last edited:
Back