Bucket Warming Blanket

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poot

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Five
Has anyone used one for a 30lb bucket and if so is it any good?
I need to make a warming cabinet, but I only need to warm one bucket at a time, so it seems a possible answer without MORE kit in the garage.

I've not used one but they seem pricy for what they are.
If short on space I'd look at using a Homebrew heating mat and a temperature controller, and make a collapsible box out of Kingspan panels which velcro together so they can be easily dismantled for storage.

If short on space I'd look at using a Homebrew heating mat and a temperature controller, and make a collapsible box out of Kingspan panels which velcro together so they can be easily dismantled for storage.
That’s an interesting thought, thanks.

Oven, just use monitoring to see what temperature it is a low range, and don't forget to let everyone know you are using the oven. dried a couple of buckets in the oven at low temperature once, and someone turned it up to cooking temperature before checking. luckily smell gave it aware before too much molten plastic was over the oven racks....

I use a low power terrarium heating mat (cheap from Ebay) sitting on a piece of kingspan, with the bucket placed in a cylinder of 2 layers of aluminium-faced bubble-wrap insulation with a lid of the same. Collapses into a small space afterwards. Takes a day or two to warm through.

I purchased a bigger egg incubator last year from fleabay when I was looking at the feasibility of using one to hatch queen bees as mine was too small to stand the cells in. When trying to get ideas for building a warming cabinet it dawned on me that maybe I could use the incubator to warm honey. After all it keeps temperature stable and is thematically controlled, warms up quickly and has a fan to maintain the temperature around the entire area equally. I have tried it and it is sound. Works great for queen's and for warming honey. Paid £50 and saved money compared to buying the parts to make one. If I need it larger I will cannibalise it for parts and then build my own.

We’ve got a couple of cast iron radiators in the hallway. Turn it down to 1, put the bucket on top wrapped in a towel (including the base), warms through gently in a couple of days!

Latest posts

Back