Strimming around the hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigger

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What's the best time of day to strim around my three hive.

I thought maybe at dusk when they are all in bed. I'd still wear my PPE.

Thanks.

Most of my hives are pretty docile apart from when the strimmer comes out. I didn’t bother with my foam strips early on Sunday morning and they all went berserk! Lesson learned, I will now do it in the evenings and the strips will be back in till I am finished the job.

A few years ago I was at my Dad's who had one colony of bees which were quite docile - they were in his garden. The kids had been bought one of those flying balloons which you blew up and released into the air. It was a slow ascent with a screeching noise until the air ran out. When this happened I couldn't believe the way the bees attacked it until it fell back to the ground. Tried it a couple of times with the same result and quit in case they attacked someone - they didn't but it was interesting to watch.

A few years ago I was at my Dad's who had one colony of bees which were quite docile - they were in his garden. The kids had been bought one of those flying balloons which you blew up and released into the air. It was a slow ascent with a screeching noise until the air ran out. When this happened I couldn't believe the way the bees attacked it until it fell back to the ground. Tried it a couple of times with the same result and quit in case they attacked someone - they didn't but it was interesting to watch.
Ooh - where can I get one? 😁
Mine go for flying pigeons

I strim during the day and also mow. I used to have trouble with my old Briggs and Stratton engined mower but since the Honda has been relegated to apiary duty the bees are less bother.
Similarly a two stroke strimmer could cause disruption but I now have a big Honda 4 stroke strimmer and have less bother.

Latest posts

Back