Very high varroah load

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as an update, I ended up using Maqs strips, single strip in single brood box hives and two strips in double brood hives, The problem seems to have been well knocked on the head. No sign of DWV in any of my colonies, no sign of varroah clinging to bees after an initial major mite drop, the drop has fallen away to nothing. No queen failure which had been my major concern. I will keep an eye on them into the summer

Didn't do a count but there were loads, so many that two or three were touching on the inspection board in many places.

Just as an update, I ended up using Maqs strips, single strip in single brood box hives and two strips in double brood hives, The problem seems to have been well knocked on the head. No sign of DWV in any of my colonies, no sign of varroah clinging to bees after an initial major mite drop, the drop has fallen away to nothing. No queen failure which had been my major concern. I will keep an eye on them into the summer

Great news, well done! What were your temperatures during treatment. Formic acid is a favourite of mine.

Temperatures were consistently cool and dry, Outdoor temperatures were 14-18 Deg C during the day. 5-7 deg by night. Didn't see any bearding in the front of the hive or notice grass dieback as I have seen pictures of on the internet. I still don't understand how colonies that were varroah free in January after Oxcallic treatment could all be infested by march. This is the first year that I have bought the crystals myself and made up the solution. Maybe I didn't make it strong enough.

I still don't understand how colonies that were varroah free in January after Oxcallic treatment could all be infested by march. This is the first year that I have bought the crystals myself and made up the solution. Maybe I didn't make it strong enough.

How do you know they were Varroa free? As you said yourself, your colonies were strong, perhaps they were full of capped brood when you dribbled? Just a thought.

Temperatures were consistently cool and dry, Outdoor temperatures were 14-18 Deg C during the day. 5-7 deg by night. Didn't see any bearding in the front of the hive or notice grass dieback as I have seen pictures of on the internet. I still don't understand how colonies that were varroah free in January after Oxcallic treatment could all be infested by march. This is the first year that I have bought the crystals myself and made up the solution. Maybe I didn't make it strong enough.

Temps sound about right for formic acid. What mix did you use? I'd go with a nearby colony collapsing and infested your hive. I lost a few colonies around a month after treating in December and others had a huge load, it is my only explanation with a beekeeper with bees only 300m away from mine. I've moved out.

Just read about a varroa sound killer? Using ultrasonic to kill the mites. Units on the website about $95
Any thoughts / experience
Wingy

Latest posts

Back