Damp OA?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I gave all my hives an OA vape yesterday, thinking to get mite numbers down before supers go on in a few weeks.
I noticed a boiling sound from the instantvap, similar to what I'd experienced when using a gasvap and OA that hadn't been well sealed. It also seemed to take a bit longer and the dosage device to get hotter to touch.
I suspect my tub hasn't been as well sealed as I thought and the OA had absorbed atmospheric moisture.
I spread the remaining OA on a heatproof tray and put it in a low oven for an hour at 110C. Then covered it until it cooled before pouring back into the tub (though it had clumped together a bit).
Testing it in the instantvap it seems to have cured the problem.
Thought this might be helpful for others and a reassurance that your kitchen doesn't fill with clouds of OA! Though make sure no-one turns the oven up full!!!

Last edited:
I gave all my hives an OA vape yesterday, thinking to get mite numbers down before supers go on in a few weeks.
I noticed a boiling sound from the instantvap, similar to what I'd experienced when using a gasvap and OA that hadn't been well sealed. It also seemed to take a bit longer and the dosage device to get hotter to touch.
I suspect my tub hasn't been as well sealed as I thought and the OA had absorbed atmospheric moisture.
I spread the remaining OA on a heatproof tray and put it in a low oven for an hour at 110C. Then covered it until it cooled before pouring back into the tub (though it had clumped together a bit).
Thought this might be helpful for others and a reassurance that your kitchen doesn't fill with clouds of OA! Though make sure no-one turns the oven up full!!!
I’ve done exactly that in the past

They suggest it should be damp to hold in the trigger holder thingy. Can't see it will do much harm

Latest posts

Back