Veil on Face

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today just before inspecting a Black Bee colony with ADHD I decided to put on thicker rubber gloves , Then opening up the hive i relalised i had an funny itch between the figures of one hand, then noticed the itch moved and was assocaited with a small bee size bump moving slowly under the glove, so closed up and removed my glove

fortuntley it was from one of my Buckfasts from Exmoor bees and did not sting even when taking the tight rubber glove off

Last edited:
I don't know why the manufacturers haven't put the effort in to solve this perennial problem.
These fencing type hoods are always blowing back against one's face.

I fix mine by sewing in some very strong stiff webbing inside the top of the hood , front to back.
This holds the front firmly away from your face.

If you can't find anything that is stiff enough, the webbing handles on 1 tonne bags are good if folded over.

Attachments

• Diving.jpg
    Diving.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
I think Sherriff fencing style suits are really good and give a good bit of distance between face and mesh, with a cap i've never had a problem or come close. As someone else said, design varies by producer. The BBwear ones seem to have the mesh closer to the face?

Maybe the answer is to get a bigger nose :D

That would solve the problem:

red-nose-day-photo-mr-bean2.jpg

Never had a problem with my BB wear fencil veil.

Maybe the answer is to get a bigger nose :D

:iagree: ...though I'll own up to a big nose, a receding chin and a large beard. This is my 1st year with a fencing veil and so far the main thing I've noticed is that I don't notice it. I'm a convert

I can confirm that if you fail to zip up the veil then it does not matter what type it is; this happens...

10563181_10203219697906238_94786612031405843_n.jpg

ouch!

I often hear about bees be should not allowed to get feisty. I collect and catch swarms, and therefore it is a feature of my hobby.
For me, it is very satisfying taming bees that have been collected, or saved from the petrol can. I also help others with feisty bees calm them.

I therefore sometimes have to layer up, as it can sometimes take time to get them into a manageable state. I am also quite aware of being stung due to weak spots!

I have had a few fencing suits, but it is not the nose that they get, but stinging through the material to the ears. I use a round veil and a baseball cap, which is more prone to being blown off, but try and avoid inspecting if that windy..

A couple of the fencing suits I have, have collars which help keep the lower part of the veil off of the face.

Each manufacturer has different sizes, and different good or poor features. One fencing veil is different to another. If you prefer fencing veils, then try a different manufacturer.

Received a new bee jacket with hood that has a Velcro strap at front of chin which can be used to pull hood forward giving a taut veil and good chin clearance. Would think a similar strap could be fashioned and added onto any bee hood. It makes quite a difference to the positioning of the veil from the face.

http://www.beebasic.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

looks very similar to the ones that Simon the Beekeeper sells, but he sells them a lot cheaper, I have a number of traditional suits, with standard veil, and always wore a baseball camp to keep the veil off my face...

I'm now using my jacket from Simon, excellent value, and feel more confident, even close up, on inspections with the fencing type veil, than I ever did before with standard veil.

I don't even notice this whilst wearing it, when I've struggled to drink a bottle of coke, and spat in my veil by error! (because forgot I was wearing it!)

Last edited:
Back