Bee veil stiffener!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I saw a custom made bee suit yesterday whereby there was a stiffener built in to the top of the veil. This is to prevent the face of the veil from collapsing which I find with mine even though its from a very well known British manufacturer.
Its quite simple and you can easily disengage it at its velcro connection.
I'm great at woodworking a d most other practical subjects, but sewing......oh no! Therefore to make one for my veil is beyond me!

Has anyone else made one of these to fit on their veil?

I would try a baseball cap - cut the peak down if required to fit inside the veil?

I always use the baseball cap but it still happens quite often. With this it never happens and is an amazing difference in addition to using a baseball cap as well.

It's a standard fitting with Oz armour suits, a stiffener slides in at the top of the veil. They also have screen on the top part of the mesh to help protect against the sun, this fabric screen doesn't fall away from the face as easily as the mesh so the stiffener helps keep it taught.
You need to find a way to incorporate a sleeve along the top of your veil, I'm not sure but I'm guessing that would require a strip of fabric from hood to extended veil rim, on both sides of the mesh. A length of fabric tape sewn down the centre would provide the sleeve to insert the stiffener. A velcro fastening to keep it in place and Bob's your Uncle.

I have made up replacement veil panels ready to sew in after cutting the old one out.
Cotton tape folded and sewn over the edge of the mesh panels and corset boning threaded through the tunnel it creates.
I suppose you could create a cotton tunnel that could be safety pinned to the veil.

I have made up replacement veil panels ready to sew in after cutting the old one out.
Cotton tape folded and sewn over the edge of the mesh panels and corset boning threaded through the tunnel it creates.
I suppose you could create a cotton tunnel that could be safety pinned to the veil.
The one I saw was in a cotton tunnel. I know you can use lots of materials as the "bone."

I stitched in a large cable tie across the bottom of my veil after getting stung on the chin. I looked like I’d done a round with Mike Tyson.

Latest posts

Back