Vegan honey (honea)!!!!!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beekeeping does, in many ways, result in the death of a relatively small number of bees, but without beekeepers, many fewer bees would get a chance at life.
I'd put money on it that the majority of beekeepers love the creatures more than most vegans do.

Beekeeping does, in many ways, result in the death of a relatively small number of bees, but without beekeepers, many fewer bees would get a chance at life.
I'd put money on it that the majority of beekeepers love the creatures more than most vegans do.
Same with livestock farming!

remember my grandmother telling SWMBO the story of Horace their first pig, when it came to the bit about my grandfather whistling him to walk to heel and to his death at the neighbouring farm she thought seeing my grandmother's sad, wistful look "that's why she hardly ever eats pork now" then my grandmother sighed and said "best bit of pork I've ever eaten"............

In most ways, beekeeping seems much better than livestock farming as regards accidental deaths. But I doubt that many farmers carelessly flatten their animals whilst inspecting them or collecting their produce. But don't misunderstand me, I may be some sort of pacifist, but veganism seems a misguided step too far.

In most ways, beekeeping seems much better than livestock farming as regards accidental deaths. But I doubt that many farmers carelessly flatten their animals whilst inspecting them or collecting their produce. But don't misunderstand me, I may be some sort of pacifist, but veganism seems a misguided step too far.
I don't know that it's any better than livestock farming in terms of accidental deaths. There's still parasite control and the number of deaths per calorie is lower with livestock than bees!

It’s a tricky one being vegan (I’m not), but I assume you use sugar to sweeten the jam, it’s widely known pesticides are used in sugar production.

It’s also widely known that almond milk production is far from kind to bees working it, but it’s still consumed by many vegans.
How do vegans get away with calling cheese vegan?
artificial rennet or no ,the milk they use is being robbed off pre weaned calves ?

It’s a tricky one being vegan (I’m not), but I assume you use sugar to sweeten the jam, it’s widely known pesticides are used in sugar production.

It’s also widely known that almond milk production is far from kind to bees working it, but it’s still consumed by many vegans.

Never mind the pesticides, what about all the wild animals that were displaced to make way for that field ;)

I am not vegan , but to my understanding being vegan is about avoiding animal products wherever possible.

Vegans tend to ignore fossil fuels for a start, and I am sure there are many more examples.

No one can realistically be a 100% strict vegan in a modern society, and I think most vegans understand that. So they just avoid animal derivatives as far as practicably possible.

This is my understanding that have gained from talking to my vegan friends. They all have slightly different rules, one of them will even eat honey if she knows its from a responsible keeper as she understands that removing excess honey is a part of bee keeping.

I worked in the kitchen at a summer art camp and we had to ask what food restrictions people had. One lady remarked that she was a "beady eyed vegan", what the heck was that? She explained that she did not eat anything with little or any eyes, our cook responded "so potatoes are out then?"

Never mind the pesticides, what about all the wild animals that were displaced to make way for that field ;)

I am not vegan , but to my understanding being vegan is about avoiding animal products wherever possible.

Vegans tend to ignore fossil fuels for a start, and I am sure there are many more examples.

<snip>
But they don't think anything of riding bicycles whose ball bearings have been hardened in a process that uses bovine bones!

I thought that inulin was a major component of Jerusalem artichokes and responsible for the flatulent giving properties of the v
But they don't think anything of riding bicycles whose ball bearings have been hardened in a process that uses bovine bones!
That’s because they didn’t know. Now you ruined cycling for them!

Not forgetting the swathes of forest and land being cleared in Africa, the Far East and South America for Soya beans, palm oil trees, almond orchards etc etc but that doesn't count according to vegan, much of the land that once held massive bee colonies!!

Latest posts

Back