Varroa treatment with empty supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCymru

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Evening all

Is there any issues treating for varroa with apiguard or similar whilst there are some empty supers on end of season?So for example an empty super that has been nadired end of the year to raise the nest off the ground and provide some space.

No, it is just whilst nectar/honey is on which is to be extracted for human consumption.

Ok perfect.I take it the chemical disperses before the next season when the cells are filled?

Evening all

Is there any issues treating for varroa with apiguard or similar whilst there are some empty supers on end of season?So for example an empty super that has been nadired end of the year to raise the nest off the ground and provide some space.

Amount of treatment stuff depends on the volume of the hive. What idea is to keep empty supers on the hive?

Apiquard is thymol, which makes gass.
If you now put thymol into your hive, your honey will be spoiled.

Last edited:
Amount of treatment stuff depends on the volume of the hive. What idea is to keep empty supers on the hive?

I use brood boxes as supers.I want to place the box underneath the nest so that they can expand down in early spring when they are ready and also to raise the nest away from OMF for winter.

I use brood boxes as supers.I want to place the box underneath the nest so that they can expand down in early spring when they are ready and also to raise the nest away from OMF for winter.

And you are going to use thymol in äearly spring?

And you have now 2 extra langstroth boxes down waiting for summer?

How many years you have kept bees?

At my place we do so when box with empty frames is below brood box - end of season and no more extraction.. We use various treatments and didn't heard someone removing supers before treatment. Hell, if we remove all the supers when is still warm all of them will be disintegrated by the wax moth..

Latest posts

Back