Newbee help prepping for winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should I be going into winter with an open mesh floor?
I am moving all my hives to solid floor bar two which I tend to use as a varroa weather vane. I can see the drop after vaping and make a judgement as to whether they need more than my routine 4

How come?
I’m sure the bees do better on them. Maybe it’s just an impression but the colonies on these floors come out stronger in the spring and eat less in the winter. Considering the crud that falls through an omf you’d think there would be some industrial cleaning to do in the spring but the bees keep underneath them scrupulously clean. I usually find just a few dots of propolis glued to them.

Hi do you have the reference for the top 75cm being superfluous? Thanks
I doubt it. I am sure it's all to do with thermal conductivity. After a certain thickness I guess it's the law of diminishing returns. And diminishing cash resources for the diminishing returns. Keep checking the builder's skips!!

Hi do you have the reference for the top 75cm being superfluous? Thanks
No, not directly, but when I doing the validation experiments for my CFD work, which involves putting lots of temperature sensor on the out side surface, It became apparent the the hive side panels at right angle to the comb were losing heat at the same rate as the roof.
You can see this in all the IR thermographs of wooden hives. 25mm of PIR =100mm of Wood so lets say 25mm reduces the heat losses through the roof by a factor of 4. That means the total heat loss is around 62% of the original. Then if we use 100mm of PIR and reduce the roof heat loss by a factor of 16. The the new heat loss is 53% of the original. Note I 've left out the floor and other 2 walls. If I include them then its even more extreme.

1696326142259.png
1696325938806.png

No, not directly, but when I doing the validation experiments for my CFD work, which involves putting lots of temperature sensor on the out side surface, It became apparent the the hive side panels at right angle to the comb were losing heat at the same rate as the roof.
You can see this in all the IR thermographs of wooden hives. 25mm of PIR =100mm of Wood so lets say 25mm reduces the heat losses through the roof by a factor of 4. That means the total heat loss is around 62% of the original. Then if we use 100mm of PIR and reduce the roof heat loss by a factor of 16. The the new heat loss is 53% of the original. Note I 've left out the floor and other 2 walls. If I include them then its even more extreme.

View attachment 37799
View attachment 37798
'Kinell Derek it looke like something out of a futurist thought control device 😱

View attachment 37799
View attachment 37798
Super interesting. What’s CFD?

Looks like Doc has been involved, should be attached to a DeLorien.

Latest posts

Back