Urgent bee starvation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Check you colonies... advice from NBU@apha

In many areas of the UK nectar flows have ceased and reports are coming in from Regional and Seasonal Bee Inspectors of starving bee colonies, where the beekeeper is not aware that the bees are severely short of food, or the colony(s) have already starved to death. It is also apparent that Wasps are becoming populous in many areas and they too are desperate for nutrition so Beekeepers should be mindful of the need to protect hives from Wasp invasion particularly where feeding is taking place in the apiary.

Colonies particularly at Risk are:

• Bee Colonies where supers of honey have been removed this season and no feeding has taken place.
• Splits / Artificial Swarms and Nucleus colonies made up this year.
• Swarms collected this year where little or no supplementary feeding has taken place.

Immediate action:

• Firstly - Check all colonies feed levels by ‘hefting the hive’ – Check the weight of the colony by lifting below the floor on both sides of the hive to see how much it weighs (Photograph attached - Hefting a Hive). Where the hive is light, liquid feed should be applied directly above the bees. Remove any supers from above the brood box which are empty or have few bees in them. This will help the bees get to the food quickly.
• Feed can be sugar and water mixed at 2:1 ratio or one of the proprietary ready mixed syrups available from Beekeeping Equipment Suppliers.
• Fondant can be used in an emergency if nothing else is available – but liquid feed will be more appropriate at this time of the season.
• Large starving colonies of bees will take 1 gallon (Approx 5 Litres) of syrup very quickly – smaller colonies ½ gallon (Approx 2.5 Litres) may be sufficient to keep them going, but after feeding heft hives again and check the weight – if in doubt feed some more in a few days time.

Further information and Guidance:

Further information on supplementary feeding can be found on Beebase – Best Practice Guideline Number 7 – ‘Emergency Feeding’

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?pageid=167

To unsubscribe to these updates, follow the link below.

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/secure/beekeeper/unsubscribe.cfm?id=43719

Kind regards,

National Bee Unit.

yes, just got that - see they're still banging on about 2:1 for emergency feeding! well, I ain't fed any of my splits, made up nucs or any that have had some supers removed and don't need to either. I admit I did give a few pints of syrup this morning to a swarm I found on the ground Monday after the rain - they are small (just covering three sides on two frames) and could do with some help.

Strange year, the only colonies that were short on stores were 3 Nucs (2 x splits + 1 small swarm) and I just added full frames of stores that I had in stock ready for winter feeding.

I am feeding all my splits/swarms - we had a lousy cold July.. Hefted/checked hives last week and tow very underweight.. Took 3 pints 2:1 overnight...all gone today.

I managed to get out whilst the sun shone yesterday.... found four very underweight and fed 4 pints of 1:1 immediately... merged another two......
We will be back to twohiver hobbyists at this rate by next Spring!!!

Yeghes da

Never fed a bee in my life and don't intend to start now. Not yet lost a colony to starvation. Then again, I am not looking to make money from them so I dont rob them blind. Won't get on the list for bragging rights, 200kg this year, blah, blah, etc, but that's not why I do it.

Never fed a bee in my life and don't intend to start now. Not yet lost a colony to starvation. Then again, I am not looking to make money from them so I dont rob them blind. Won't get on the list for bragging rights, 200kg this year, blah, blah, etc, but that's not why I do it.

Don't assume that people have to "rob them blind" for a colony to run short of stores!

None of my production colonies, that have had honey harvested, have run short of stores at all. It is in fact the Nuc's that don't have a large foraging force that have suffered from the nectar drought. I have fed them and I know that where my hives are I am fairly lucky to have a constant, if not strong, nectar flow most of the season.

For some the weather can mean that even when there is nectar available the bees can't fly to get it!
Also a large colony can consume a very large amount of stores in a short time if confined to the hive due to bad weather.

Finally making a statement of intention to NEVER feed bees is imo a bit short sighted.

Last edited:

Each hive should be assessed as an individual. Bit of a broad statement to make but each to their own I suppose. Lost one hive 5 years ago due to similar advice.... Now I make my own mind up if they need any help. Feeding is also very useful in certain circumstances such as drawing comb, finishing queen cells etc....

sound advice, a colony (not mine) on the heather completely starved out, thousands dead,not a pretty site.

I agree, a very sweeping statement. I don't usually have to feed, but this year having to feed two hives. Never is not a word I use ..... Except for winter oxalic acid treatment! Tee hee!

I'm glad i started feeding mine Candipollen gold nearly 3 week's ago as they may well have not been here today..

One question though and i hope it's not hijacking the thread but is Candipollen gold ok without sugar water..they do seem to be doing well since i started using it and they are getting nectar from somewhere as they are starting to fill a frame in the super and also starting to store honey around the brood box..

I agree, a very sweeping statement. I don't usually have to feed, but this year having to feed two hives. Never is not a word I use ..... Except for winter oxalic acid treatment! Tee hee!

:icon_204-2:
Too early for that... we have to have the annual the matchstick debate first!!

Yeghes da

is Candipollen gold ok without sugar water..they do seem to be doing well since i started using it

wouldn't bother wasting my money on it at all - just another form of snake oil. If you are still feeding them then it's that which they are storing not nectar - after all it's only ponced up fondant.
Save your money and just feed sugar if they need it.

I remember saying a short time ago on a posting...that I could see us having to feed the bees this autumn...at the time someone told me that I couldn't see into the future..that no one could....hmmm..perhaps I can after all....sadly.

wouldn't bother wasting my money on it at all - just another form of snake oil. If you are still feeding them then it's that which they are storing not nectar - after all it's only ponced up fondant.
Save your money and just feed sugar if they need it.
Thank you for that..can they make honey from pollen substitute if so i'm confused as all my reading and research lead's me to believe nectar is the source for honey stores.. or sugar water for false honey stores.

Money wise it's a small price to pay in my eye's to try and save a starving colony.. in it for the bee's not the honey ..;)

I remember saying a short time ago on a posting...that I could see us having to feed the bees this autumn...at the time someone told me that I couldn't see into the future..that no one could....hmmm..perhaps I can after all....sadly.

Well you know where you can get yourself a million quid if you can.
But then if you can see the future, you already know the outcome :icon_204-2:

Nbu put these out a couple of times a year. Nevertheless a beekeeper should be on the ball and we should all be aware of the state of our colonies, no excuse not to be.

Thank you for that..can they make honey from pollen substitute if so i'm confused as all my reading and research lead's me to believe nectar is the source for honey stores

It's not just honey is it, you are feeding them sugar in the form of fondant
candipoline gold is just fondant with a bit of pollen substitute added not pure pollen - if you feed them more sugar than they need they will store it so your nectar derived honey stores will be adulterated with plain sugar.
If you think your bees are starving, feed them sugar syrup, if they're not starving don't feed them anything.
Candipoine gold may be slightly beneficial in the spring to help them build up when there is little pollen around - I've never found the need to.

Back