Upping the ante

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm up for a cardboard box and not being embalmed.... I suspect dying in Summer would not be appreciated!

Not if you’re in an oak box pumped full of chemicals
I don't think much embalming is done these days. They put you in a fridge.
Ah - that seems to be an English thing - not really caught on here in Wales I think we have only one embalmer in the whole of West Wales (Dorian Death - happens to be a bee farmer actually), few more in the East, but that figures

Do people get buried in oak boxes these days
Not many at a Thousand pounds a pop, Imported from Poland mostly, if you wanted British oak, probably twice the price, I remember when my father died in 1982 my Godfather (who was the undertaker)saying an oak coffin would have cost something near a grand (although my father, being a carpenter had said an oak coffin was a waste of good wood and had a plain deal one)
Phil the Greek is in a lead lined oak one - but then, as they haven't buried him yet, they had to or the stench in St George's chapel would have been unbearable. even embalming only delays the decomposition process by a few months.

Part of me likes the idea of a WRC coffin but I can't abide the idea of such a waste of good hive building material.

Not many at a Thousand pounds a pop, Imported from Poland mostly, if you wanted British oak, probably twice the price, I remember when my father died in 1982 my Godfather (who was the undertaker)saying an oak coffin would have cost something near a grand (although my father, being a carpenter had said an oak coffin was a waste of good wood and had a plain deal one)
Phil the Greek is in a lead lined oak one - but then, as they haven't buried him yet, they had to or the stench in St George's chapel would have been unbearable. even embalming only delays the decomposition process by a few months.
Yes I met Dorian. He bought a spinner off me. We talked about embalming for quite a while, strangely 😬

Still a few old chapels around Wales with Biers equipped for shroud burials (a few examples in St Fagan's museum)
Just get buried in an old duvet cover.
All of my recent ancestors have been cremated .. My maternal grandfather (who fought all the way through the first world war) said there were two reasons he wanted to be cremated:

1. At nearly 90 years old he could still not get the smell of death and decay in the trenches in WW1 out of his nostrils.

2. He said after what he did to his fellow man in those years that the least he could expect was to burn in hell and therefore he had better get used to it.

All my relatives since have followed his path .... but goodness only knows what they make coffins for cremation from these days as I could see the coffin bending when they lifted my wife's uncle coffin (he was a big bloke) onto the dais in the crematorium and my heart missed a beat when the image of it giving way entered my mind.

Sounds good to me
I have my simple crem already paid for
I've not bothered ... when I worked for the 2011 Census I was told that the child who will live to be 150 years old had already been born ... as far as I'm concerned ... it's me ! So plenty of time left for some arrangements ...

I was under a lot of pressure
I can understand that ... I know a lot of people, who are a lot younger than us, that are not even staring possible death in the face who have booked a slot ...

I've gone part way and I have a 'death file' that tells my surviving family where all the secrets are, what things are really worth and who to contact about bees and banks and other finances, what the passwords are, what the pin numbers are and to ask for forgiveness for me leaving such a large woodpile !

When they read it they will probably decide that cremation on top of my own woodpile will be a fitting end !

I've gone part way and I have a 'death file' that tells my surviving family where all the secrets are, what things are really worth and who to contact about bees and banks and other finances, what the passwords are, what the pin numbers are and to ask for forgiveness for me leaving such a large woodpile !
Oh yes. Stan has absolutely no idea how to run the house.
Yes he can cook and run the washing machine. He was a single parent for a number of years but finance goes right over his head.
Luckily I have to update it every year as the first instalment now makes little sense.

Latest posts

Back