University cancelling masters course at short notice.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

Furious this evening just been told my nephews masters degree has been cancelled with only two weeks to the start of the course with no explication other than an email.

I know there are lots of cleaver people in this place with a vast range of knowledge so looking for any information if the university can do this and if he has any avenues to go down to try and get some answers as the university apparently is only giving confused explorations, you need to talk to xyz ect who is not contactable.

Try another University offering same / similar MSc... may be lucky!
Try clearance????

Good luck

Nos da

Yes but don't know how realistic that is with the short time left.

Weasel words exist unfortunately I attach an example

The University reserves the right to cancel courses prior to commencement and, for operational reasons, to relocate courses without notice. Students are advised to check all course details at enquiry stage and prior to enrolment.

Courses are subject to minimum student enrolment. The University reserves the right to cancel courses prior to commencement and to move the location of courses without notice. If a course is cancelled prior to starting, your fees will
be refunded in full. If you do not start your course, or decide to withdraw after registration, any refund will be calculated according to the University of Leicester Refund Policy and will depend on whether you are studying on a campus based or distance learning course.

Damn inconvenient. Only reason I can think of is lack of numbers applying for the course making it financially un-viable. Alas not of any consolation to the long laid plans of your nephew and there is often a caveat sating (somewhere in the small print..."subject to numbers" or summat like that. Happens a lot on evening classes.
Suggest a direct approach to head of dept, or faculty by e-mail or telephone (Their e-mail addresses and telephone numbers are usually available on any university web site). They may not know of this sudden decision and may be as horrified as you.
You should at least get a rational answer rather than being messed around by admissions staff.

Apparently the person running the course has left the university
This may be short notice as my nephew was in conversation with him very recently with no indication he was moving on. The course had plenty of students and a number had not been informed they had cancelled the course and only found out through word of mouth. The whole thing is very disappointing and even if it was out of the control of the university they have not handled it right.

This happened to me back in '97. Similar reason - Faculty member who was running the taught LLM course went on sabbatical to the USA and another member of staff moved to a commercial position in an international firm of solicitors. I was offered an LLM by research over two years but declined in favour of a taught Masters over one year at another university which also happened to bring me home to NI.

If the university made an offer of a place and that offer was accepted, a contract exists

Unlikely to help you much. Find another course quickly would be my advise.

Unlikely to help you much. Find another course quickly would be my advise.

I agree, but, I recall a case from year 1 contract law where a university student successfully argued for breach of contract. However, the most expedient solution would be to find another course. Check university clearing for places

The same thing happened to me. I wanted to do another Masters straight after the degree I completed in 2012. However, Northampton university focus so much on international students that the masters level tax course would be irrelevant to them (since it focusses on UK tax laws). Consequently, they didn't have enough students continuing from the degree to make the masters course viable. Its a pity because I would have sat the external ACA/ACCA professional exams 2 weeks after the masters exams so it would have worked out perfectly. I had an offer from the previous year which I deferred.

Last edited:
If the university made an offer of a place and that offer was accepted, a contract exists

Not a whole lot of use if they don't have the staff to teach it ... better to choose an alternative course at a better institute where they have the resource to deliver the teaching.

Might be worth 'naming and shaming' so that others don't get treated similarly (or at least are forewarned).

Think it just might depend on the exact circumstances that might introduce any of the following that might apply:

Force Majuere
Subject to contract
Conditional offer
Subject to their terms and conditions

Latest posts

Back