Help For Heroes Project

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair I think you're doing most beekeeping associations a disservice. We'll train anybody who wants to be trained and are more than willing to support people with a wide range of disabilities, and certainly don't make any mentees feel stupid. And, you know something, we do it all for free because every single one of us is a volunteer.

I'm very much inclined to agree with this ... plus people trained locally by associations tend to have an inclusive and helpful support network around them, in the immediate vicinity. Whilst I absolutely applaud any initiatives that draw our injured service personnel into something that helps their rehabilitation, I can't help thinking that the stressful aspects of beekeeping really do require an experienced, local, mentor on hand - sometimes at very short notice in the season - to assist when it all comes on top.

I've seen too many new beekeepers (mostly able bodied and reasonably fit both physically and mentally) who have done a 2 day intensive course, got the kit and jumped in feet first ~ only to find that beekeeping is not the peaceful, undemanding, honey generating hobby it looked like initially.

It takes a lot of one to one time to keep these people in the fold.

I think the average association run course, over 10 to 12 meetings - with time to discuss and think about the theory, alongside a broad mix of other would be beekeepers, serves a far better entry to beekeeping. The association courses are inevitably followed by apiary time and sometimes provide low cost, proven, bees for the new beekeeper. They are run, largely, by very experienced beekeepers who give their time freely and guide the attendees into the association's mentoring system.

I really don't think the quick fix approach to learning the art of beekeeping is the way forward for any new beekeeper. Two days to learn beekeeping is a very ambitious timeframe.

Perhaps the local mentorship that is being advertised for is key? It would probably become much more important than the initial free course. You're right pargyle about the stress levels of beekeeping. I'm able bodied ( though perhaps not able minded at times) and keen as mustard but the "hobby" has driven me to distraction at times.

Perhaps the local mentorship that is being advertised for is key? It would probably become much more important than the initial free course. You're right pargyle about the stress levels of beekeeping. I'm able bodied ( though perhaps not able minded at times) and keen as mustard but the "hobby" has driven me to distraction at times.

Yes ... but doesn't that already exist within the national association structure ?

I just wonder whether the OP would be better advised to spend his time encouraging local associations to forge links with WIS that are interested in becoming beekeepers - where the framework for learning and mentoring has been well established for many years.

From the WIS that I've met the last thing they, generally, want is to be treated as 'special cases' .. if they wish to become beekeepers then the facilties are already in place, available and generally successful.

I can see that a short introduction to beekeeping for those WIS who may feel that beekeeping may be for them (and I've done such talks for groups that are interested) could be of benefit. But ... attempting to set up a nationwide network to train and then support WIS beekeepers rather strikes me as something of a silo - better they are integrated into the existing structure at the earliest opportunity.

Not a well thought through project in my opinion but clearly one that will gain support because like the 'bees in decline' banner H4H, quite rightly, generates a huge amount of public support.

Personally i wouldnt touch something like this with a barge pole. I have "helped" other socalled good deed volunteer projects before and each time they have left me with a bill for costs demanded by the charity or a bad taste in my mouth when it was closed down due to funds being miss spent.

If 14x12 can give assurances that h4h wont come along and say u need to do this or that for the prospective beekeepers then dont take the risk.

How many of you have apiaries that are suitable for phyically disabled. Not just grass round the hives but ramps where there are steps, wide gates etc.

Thanks but no thanks.

Thank you to everyone and I am sorry for the sad little lives of the three people who once again feel it is appropriate to be as negative as they possibly can.

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick mate. Your idea is laudable and worthwhile.

However, you appear to be running your own beekeeping enterprise on a semi commercial basis whilst relying on crowd funding to cover your losses.

I'm not very keen on that approach, exploiting peoples emotional connection to bee losses to fund your business.

As they say on Dragon's Den, I'm out.

Last edited:
I don't mind saying I'm fed up with hearing about H4H. Nothing wrong with any one of them doing a beginners course at their nearest association

OK just a few points to put the record straight.....

Pargyle - Some good points but I get the feeling your negative approach is focussed at me and not the project (like your friends Cussword, ErichaBee etc). Frankly I DGAF about your feelings for me but you raise some points in your latter posts that I am willing to address. You may have given inputs to groups in the past but how many had severe PTSD. IT is a condition that saps your confidence, self esteem and makes you guarded toward everyone and everything. The feedback from WIS is that they want to learn skills but many feel very uncomfortable amongst non-military people and particularly in big groups. I am totally focussed on getting these people back into local BKA's but their condition will not let them make the first move to approach an association. I know guys who simply cannot leave the house so this really is the best option and it will allow the occupational therapists at Tedworth House to work with them to inspire the activity of beekeeping as a mindfulness activity. In short you are making very general statements that would be true for normal functioning humans but you clearly lack the understanding about the people and their condition.

SIPA - Once again you have allowed you judgement of whether crowd funding to rebuild an apiary that was destroyed by a storm was appropriate...An apiary that is being used & has been used to support the H4H project. If you are that minded it is probably better that you are out and I wish you well.

SWARM - Sad that you have heard too much about the sacrifice given by these men and women to secure our freedom...nothing more to say really.

I'm all for H4H but this looks another scam so I'm out.
As said else thread, talk the local beeks and one would be amazed at the response. If an ex service person CAN become a beek GREAT but there are issues like access etc. that you can't brush under the carpet.

You can be injured without a visible mark on your body this comes under the innocuous sounding terms of "post concussion syndrome" or "mild traumatic brain injury". These can leave a person with the inability to :
Hold down a relationship
Be in crowded room
Unable to face a field of flowers
Find a supermarket overwhelming
Can't remember a phone number
And anything and everything else

See the drama called "recovery" starring David tennant
Or the book by Richard Hammond

Helping someone with one with these conditions could be very rewarding and beekeeping can definitely be therapeutic but you must attend a briefing session so that you know what it is about.

Last edited:
SWARM - Sad that you have heard too much about the sacrifice given by these men and women to secure our freedom...nothing more to say really.

Well we could discuss that statement at length couldn't we? But to quote yourself, I DGAF what you think.

derekm....you have added the detail needed, it is exactly that and I thank you for making your point. A local BKA may in time be a good means of ongoing support but a lot of the WIS could not make the move or find the nerve to go along to a meeting with people they do not know. That is the whole rationale behind this approach and I am glad you have given additional explanation.

theeggman - no scam involved never has been despite what others would have you believe. Please just contact H4H at Tedworth House if you have any doubts but I get the felling you are just making a throw away thoughtless comment and don't really want to be involved. If that is the case I wish you all the best but don't make dumb comments without any proof or it can come back and bite you in the arse...as many others on this forum recall the last time they made slanderous comments. I am perfectly happy for people to disagree but do not slander me I am no fraud or con artist and I will defend my integrity with robustness!!

Last edited:
You are obviously a beekeeper with some experience.
It's all very well posting here to ask us to help you with your project but there are many beginners here who might well benefit from your wisdom. Why don't you join in?

I have coached various disabilities young and old for 20 years, my experience with some of the charities involved they have been totally indifferent when asking for advice. I have had referrals from Social Services and health professionals. The best advice I received was from another coach from another sport who had inspired other coaches in his sport. I wish you well for the future, but your advice will have to be 24/7. Unfortunately I have other commitments.

OK just a few points to put the record straight.....

I don't know what Swarm's objection is, but I too have reservations about the organisation.

"Heroes" is very emotive, but these people are professionals and doing their job. I'm glad they do, as I wouldn't wish to, but I can say that of dancers, dustmen and proctologists.

That said, there remains an anachronistic two-tier system within the organisation and the rank and file get short shrift.

They also do not get the medical support they deserve –-throughout their lives –-as they get precious little other benefits from their profession.

For that reason, I would be happy to consider supporting this campaign which may provide some with the peace I receive from our hobby.

I don't know the details, but I'm prepared to reserve judgement until I do.

However, a number of good points have been made about how associations could support such a project, but physical impairments apart, I imagine group dynamics would be difficult for someone suffering from PTSD.

Last edited:
I don't know what Swarm's objection is, but I too have reservations about the organisation.

"Heroes" is very emotive, but these people are professionals and doing their job. I'm glad they do, as I wouldn't wish to, but I can say that of dancers, dustmen and proctologists.

That said, there remains an anachronistic two-tier system within the organisation and the rank and file get short shrift.

They also do not get the medical support they deserve –-throughout their lives –-as they get precious little other benefits from their profession.

For that reason, I would be happy to consider supporting this campaign which may provide some with the peace I receive from our hobby.

I don't know the details, but I'm prepared to reserve judgement until I do.

However, a number of good points have been made about how associations could support such a project, but physical impairments apart, I imagine group dynamics would be difficult for someone suffering from PTSD.

The PCS and mTBI injuries I spoke about can and does happen to anyone anywhere. It doesnt need a IED and camo. It only takes a kerb, a ladder, a car accident.

You probably know quite a few people with this type of injury, but it doesnt always show and some learn to hide the symptoms.

if aiding the military is a problem
Contact these people if you want to help
https://www.headway.org.uk/get-involved/
They work closely with NHS on assesments and rehabilitation

hammonds book
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edge-My-Story-Richard-Hammond/dp/0753824043

Last edited:
A few years back I spent an evening with a diabetic who was blind in one eye and had lost part of a leg and arm through his illness. He told me of his limitations and I suggested the type of hive he needed and how to manipulate the frames. We came up with a nuc box on wheels to transport the super frames for extraction.

derekm....you have added the detail needed, it is exactly that and I thank you for making your point. A local BKA may in time be a good means of ongoing support but a lot of the WIS could not make the move or find the nerve to go along to a meeting with people they do not know. That is the whole rationale behind this approach and I am glad you have given additional explanation.

theeggman - no scam involved never has been despite what others would have you believe. Please just contact H4H at Tedworth House if you have any doubts but I get the felling you are just making a throw away thoughtless comment and don't really want to be involved. If that is the case I wish you all the best but don't make dumb comments without any proof or it can come back and bite you in the arse...as many others on this forum recall the last time they made slanderous comments. I am perfectly happy for people to disagree but do not slander me I am no fraud or con artist and I will defend my integrity with robustness!!

I'm wondering why you chose this forum rather than the BBKA to launch your ideas (maybe you're in there too but I don't read it). You say you are giving each customer a free BBKA guide which suggests you have made contact with that organisation. Through their hierarchy and affiliates you should be able to make contact with the majority of the country's BKAs committees and their training resources plus mentors.
The size of the various groups that meet for training would rarely fall into the description of large and most of the beekeepers I meet are welcoming and supportive. Given a sympathetic introduction to a first visit I'm certain any misgivings or fears would rapidly evaporate.
All in all I feel that would have been a much more sensible approach and avoid the belligerence.

I'm wondering why you chose this forum rather than the BBKA to launch your ideas.
All in all I feel that would have been a much more sensible approach and avoid the belligerence.

My thoughts exactly.

There are thousands of people out there that do so much good. More often they are not known, happy to work behind the scenes for the benefit of others, whether disabled or just in need at that time. I applaud them.

There are others that want all to know that they are the ones that are doing all that good.

Because of a previous threat, I am not suggesting that the op is one of those people.

Just pointing out that these folk exist. :D

Last edited:
Gilberdyke John - I don't really know how much you know about me & this forum but I am happy to explain if you have the time. Suffice to say I am really not a fan of some of the people on this forum and so perhaps the easier thing to do would to have not advertised this here. . However I also recognise that there are some very positive and nice people on this forum too all of who would add value to this project and so I decided to post on here as well as on the FB BBKA & British Beekeepers pages. Belligerent is probably not the word I would use....there are many better descriptors but to use them would just lower myself to a level I am not keen to delve to!

I was not even aware that there was a BBKA forum so now I know I will cross post thank you very much for pointing this out.

The BBKA books are being funded by H4H from donations and each WIS will get their own copy - I have not been in touch with BBKA but actually you have made me consider whether it would be appropriate to do so to see if we could get them at a discounted rate.

cussword - This is not about me it never has been and never will be. I just want to give a little back to an organisation that supports so many people (me included in the past)...this is about asking for help it has never been about me. I have lot's of really good life-long mates that I have stood shoulder to shoulder with in the past who were the bravest, toughest people you could meet and they now struggle to leave their own homes. You have been a thorn in my side on this forum and you have been rude to me and about me even before I joined the forum. You have let your views on the rights v wrongs of using crowdfunding to re-build a destroyed apiary (used for this project in the past and in the future) to cloud your judgement of me and what I do.

You have never met me, know very little about me and yet you and some others are constantly negative about me and what I do. To be frank I simply DGAF about you or what you think I have fought far bigger battles and I simply don't care. But please lets start again...try to see beyond your views on crowd-funding and try to see the benefits and not the negatives of what I and others are trying to achieve.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back