Help For Heroes Project

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP. As I have you on my ignore list I have no idea what you have said unless someone quotes you.
I do hope that you have not been rude about me personally, or mentioned my name as I have not been rude about you.

:D

One thing that has come to mind is you need to look at apiary sites really carefully. All my sites are on farms and even though the farm in very diff ways with diff crops, most have game keepers that deal with rabbits and birds with shot guns. Some also use those gas gun bird scarers.

They make me jump so i can emagine how bad it would be foe someone with ptsd.

Just make sure you research the sites really well.

dpearce4....thank you I had not thought of this a very good & valid point. The OH team at Tedworth are working with us and will advise mentors as necessary and I will feed this into them. Again thank you for your valid and useful contribution much appreciated

dpearce4....thank you I had not thought of this a very good & valid point. The OH team at Tedworth are working with us and will advise mentors as necessary and I will feed this into them. Again thank you for your valid and useful contribution much appreciated

Dont take this the wrong way but you neeed to go back a few stages and do some serious risk assessments.

You cant do something like this on a wing and a prayer. Peoples lives are at risk.

If you dont know whats needed get someone else to do it.

dpearce4 - I can assure you that this is all in hand but thank you for raising it. There are people at Tedworth House who have identified the risks and they will be communicated to mentors and all involved. You are right people far more knowledgable than me on these things are doing this and hence I said I would pass on your observation re guns firing

Last edited:
In short you are making very general statements that would be true for normal functioning humans but you clearly lack the understanding about the people and their condition.

How unstable are some of these people?

Thanks Pete D yes I am aware of this project and in the fullness of time we hope to bring this and other similar projects together so that there is a bigger involvement. I have already received e-mails from two similar projects keen to link up.

Gilberdyke John - I don't really know how much you know about me & this forum but I am happy to explain if you have the time. Suffice to say I am really not a fan of some of the people on this forum and so perhaps the easier thing to do would to have not advertised this here. . However I also recognise that there are some very positive and nice people on this forum too all of who would add value to this project and so I decided to post on here as well as on the FB BBKA & British Beekeepers pages.

I was not even aware that there was a BBKA forum so now I know I will cross post thank you very much for pointing this out.

The BBKA books are being funded by H4H from donations and each WIS will get their own copy - I have not been in touch with BBKA but actually you have made me consider whether it would be appropriate to do so to see if we could get them at a discounted rate.

Personally I am struggling to understand why you haven't involved, sought a lot more help from BBKA. I would suspect (hope) that they would of provided materials FOC. Given your involvement with the organisation from the bio on your website it would seem to be the most natural 1st Port of Call.

"John has completed several beekeeping related training courses since 1991 including the British Beekeeping Association Basic Bee Handling Assessment and has been awarded the CPD Level 2 Award in Food Safety for Caterers. He is a member of the British Beekeepers Association and an active comittee member of the local Portsmouth & District branch."

Personally I am struggling to understand why you haven't involved, sought a lot more help from BBKA. I would suspect (hope) that they would of provided materials FOC. Given your involvement with the organisation from the bio on your website it would seem to be the most natural 1st Port of Call.

"John has completed several beekeeping related training courses since 1991 including the British Beekeeping Association Basic Bee Handling Assessment and has been awarded the CPD Level 2 Award in Food Safety for Caterers. He is a member of the British Beekeepers Association and an active comittee member of the local Portsmouth & District branch."

Well done that man!

The highlighted areas would be probably why he has more faith in going to the grassroots for support than the hierarchy of the BBKA.

Derek - A committee member of local association and delegate to a county association

I wish you luck with this project.
I contacted H4H myself a while back and was basically fobbed off.
I have also contacted combat stress and they weren't interested either.
My apiary can be accessed in a wheelchair if need be and I have hive stands of all heights.
Nothing has come of my contact with either organisation, I even offered free bees if one or two people came.

Nige.Coll - Would you still be willing to help? I hope so you sound ideal and if so please e-mail me to discuss: [email protected]

Latest posts

Back