• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Equipment For Sale Uncapper for National frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Garry, the last one of these I tried seem to do a lot of damage to the comb and left approx 10% of the honey in the comb due the slicing action not actually taking the capping off.
Do you consider yours overcomes this?

Hi Garry, the last one of these I tried seem to do a lot of damage to the comb and left approx 10% of the honey in the comb due the slicing action not actually taking the capping off.
Do you consider yours overcomes this?
The spacing of the cutting of the spacers is such that the capping is lightly crushed - not removed but not digging deep into the comb itself damaging it. The method of melting of the cappings is a little like this too where some cells can remain sealed.

£160 including carriage and complete
I am able to reduce the price of the uncapper to £140 complete including carriage as the price I ask on ebay (£160) has to include ebay commission which does not apply on the forum. I hope this helps you guys out. To be clear I have offered this discount to any I have sold here so I have not benefited. If you wish to source an uncapping box without the under box then the roller box set is £105 including carriage but please be clear that the Really Useful Box company 50 and 64Litre box is the one which the roller set is designed for and I have sourced these at as low a cost as I can by semi bulk buy. Hope this makes sense. Get in touch through conversations if you need to contact me for more information.

I can never resist a new gadget so ordered Garry's uncapper which arrived today by courier. What I like is the simplicity of its design - hopefully my impression that there's not much to go wrong will prove correct. Cold water rinse then the dishwasher promises to be easy.
After several years of uncapping with a knife I moved to a heat gun three years ago but, as Garry says above, that leaves quite a few cells uncapped, especially as most of the combs in my supers are a few years old. I suspect with this uncapper there will be some residue - but not wasted as the supers will be returned to the hives.
All I need now is a flow of OSR in March-April......!

I am able to reduce the price of the uncapper to £140 complete including carriage as the price I ask on ebay (£160) has to include ebay commission which does not apply on the forum. I hope this helps you guys out. To be clear I have offered this discount to any I have sold here so I have not benefited. If you wish to source an uncapping box without the under box then the roller box set is £105 including carriage but please be clear that the Really Useful Box company 50 and 64Litre box is the one which the roller set is designed for and I have sourced these at as low a cost as I can by semi bulk buy. Hope this makes sense. Get in touch through conversations if you need to contact me for more information.
Gary have you trialled this on heather or heather blend? I’ve been looking at solutions for heather blend extraction. I use a Hydropress for pure heather but there’s a gap in the market for a bit of kit that will work for heather blend when with a bit of loosening of the honey using a type of metal roller with spikes could then save the frames and wax. I’ve looked at the Humblebee design but don’t like the plastic rollers and your metal version is much better.

Would you be able to adapt / develop your design to loosen heather blend in the comb? I’d be v interested if so.
I love a neat invention! Well done with your design to date for uncapping , looks good
Elaine

I've used something similar - the two issues I had was that 1) it doesn't work at all with Hoffman frames and 2) it leaves quite a bit of honey behind - significantly more that 4-6%, even after spinning for 2/3 times longer than 'traditional' uncapping methods. If you don't use Hoffman and are happy with the other issues, go for it. Personally, I sold it after 2 weeks at a significant loss.

I've used something similar - the two issues I had was that 1) it doesn't work at all with Hoffman frames and 2) it leaves quite a bit of honey behind - significantly more that 4-6%, even after spinning for 2/3 times longer than 'traditional' uncapping methods. If you don't use Hoffman and are happy with the other issues, go for it. Personally, I sold it after 2 weeks at a significant loss.
Having looked at the design of the uncapper you may have bought it is important that the rollers at each end are of a diameter which allows the rollers to be in contact with the cappings as the frame is moved down and up. If the shaft is too thick where the side bars of self spacing frames follow the shaft they can force the "blades" away from the frame and they lose contact with the cappings and they are not bruised and therefore won't extract. On plain side bars SN1 DN1 it will be fine. The extractor I offer will take Hoffman frames OK. It is important that the rollers are located to run inside the side bars. I have concentrated on National frames with the National sized foundation. Hope this helps.

leaves quite a bit of honey behind - significantly more that 4-6%, even after spinning for 2/3 times longer
Better results would be achieved by using an extractor with a larger diameter than the usual, giving greater centrifugal force.

I have treated myself to Garry’s uncapper, it is a neat piece of kit. Like most people I find uncapping the most tedious part of honey extraction and with this kit I hope it will make the whole process a lot easier.
Currently at a relatively low price for uncapping equipment. Well done Garry for it’s design and opportunity to buy. Looking forward to its use.

Will be at Somerset Lecture Day in Bridgewater next weekend with the uncapper if anyone would like a look. One up for grabs in the raffle,

Reactions: Niv
Thanks to all who have shown interest in my uncapper and those who have purchased ready for the early honey flow.

I will be at Somerset Beekeeper's annual auction on Sunday 7th April. Won't be selling the uncapper (or have a stall) in the auction but if anyone wants to see it I'll have one with me. I have a few metal covered National roofs which will be in the auction on behalf of a friend who has given up beekeeping. Maybe see you there.

I will be at Somerset Beekeeper's annual auction on Sunday 7th April. Won't be selling the uncapper (or have a stall) in the auction but if anyone wants to see it I'll have one with me. I have a few metal covered National roofs which will be in the auction on behalf of a friend who has given up beekeeping. Maybe see you there.
Taunton not Somerset's. Just to be pedantic 😆

Back