The National Uncapper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More efficient than one 20-frame?
This is interesting! Thinking about it, frames are constantly spinning whilst you would stop to load one spinner the other continues spinning. Effective I would have thought .

I balance the cage as I uncap and judge the comb weight.
If I have any imbalnce then I stay with the extractor until things eventually balance out then whack the speed up to max, I can then walk away and let it merrily spin.
With the stepper motor driver controller I can set the pulse/rev 's to any max speed I want by flipping the various enable switches on or off, I have mine set for 6400 pulse /revs which gets the combs pretty much clear of all honey. Though not dry they are not too wet for storage .

With my 10 castellation spacings they have drawn out the combs fat allowing one bees space so yes getting very good poundage per super and yes they are BS shallows.

Last edited:
I’m following this with interest. I have looked at a few options for next year including blades, brush and now this. I ended up with a honey plain thingy 😂 from the last time I was looking. But definitely need something more now.
My Question is has anyone used the brush compared to this roller?
I suspect a brush is quicker than the new uncapper as it deals with lumps & bumps better by just cutting the frame square.
Im now on our second brush, now in its sixth season with not much visible wear.
I am looking at having a auto uncapper currently, but for the hobby market the new roller model looks hard to beat, especially at its price point.

a brush is quicker than the new uncapper
Tried a brush uncapper once and though it does deal with lumps & dips, I found it noisy and messy. Even second-hand they fetch £500 on eBay, new over £1k, so I agree, the roller is the most economical & effective option.

I suspect a brush is quicker than the new uncapper as it deals with lumps & bumps better by just cutting the frame square.
Im now on our second brush, now in its sixth season with not much visible wear.
I am looking at having an auto uncapper currently, but for the hobby market the new roller model looks hard to beat, especially at its price point.
Could you show pictures of what you currently are using please ? Do you have any links for prices on the brush set up ?

here is another at roughly that price:
https://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/brush-uncapping-machine
I think for me running circa 20 hives a brush uncapper apart from the money is also the space, although this one is not too bad. The rollers to me thus at circa £300 are a more reasonable price. I am though also interested to see what happens next year in that the rollers i hope bit like ironing may have straightened out my very bumpy frames so that i endup with straighter frames next year rather than the contours continuing onto the next year. But that is to be seen.

straighter frames next year rather than the contours
Having had flat combs and bumpy combs over the years I have an idea that the irregular are linked to erratic or sudden heavy flows, and the ability of a colony to manage income logistics: to draw foundation quick enough, ahead of incoming nectar. Such discord would be accentuated if insufficient boxes were available to the bees at the time; it's easy for a beekeeper to be caught out.

The spring flow this year was suddden and powerful and I reckon that if I was bee, I'd find it easier to extend existing comb and dump the nectar, than draw new from scratch. Perhaps the spring balance of young wax bees & older foragers was unable to accomodate the flood of nectar?

Strong main flows over a longer period do produce regulation flat combs, and colonies would be likely to be able to deal with the income in a more orderly fashion, and at a time when the colony has peak workforce and more boxes.

Having had flat combs and bumpy combs over the years I have an idea that the irregular are linked to erratic or sudden heavy flows, and the ability of a colony to manage income logistics: to draw foundation quick enough, ahead of incoming nectar. Such discord would be accentuated if insufficient boxes were available to the bees at the time; it's easy for a beekeeper to be caught out.

The spring flow this year was suddden and powerful and I reckon that if I was bee, I'd find it easier to extend existing comb and dump the nectar, than draw new from scratch. Perhaps the spring balance of young wax bees & older foragers was unable to accomodate the flood of nectar?

Strong main flows over a longer period do produce regulation flat combs, and colonies would be likely to be able to deal with the income in a more orderly fashion, and at a time when the colony has peak workforce and more boxes.
Doesn't it grind your gears when you find a patch of undrawn foundation and a corresponding bulge of capped stores on the adjacent frame? I've squashed back a few of these this year.

Okay some of the team here at Weybridge Beekeeping Association have been doing some testing, there are considerations of which the key one is does the roller uncapper leave more wax and thus weight on the frame than using an uncapping fork. Anyway i publish here for anyone to view. The one thing we all agreed on was the time saving of at least 30% - 50% of time. Anyway comments are welcome.

Attachments

• cappings.png
    cappings.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 1
I just uncapped four 14x12 brood boxes full of old manky frames, to feed back to the bees, with a fork. My God! What a trial! I shall enjoy the bonfire. I might sit by it with a nice glass of malt to keep me warm inside

Maisemore's version available soon and a lower price than the OP. See comments from Maisemore under their original Facebook post

a lower price
No doubt other and cheaper copies will follow, but a design with thorough research & development - so without niggles, that works smoothly, with spares available - may be worth paying extra. Worth calling Abelo or Thorne to see if they could ease your route to retail, Martin?

Last edited:
Maisemore's version available soon and a lower price than the OP. See comments from Maisemore under their original Facebook post

Thanks will wait to see pictures but from the look of the one shot their adjustment is like the chinese on the inside where the honey is, not a good idea

Latest posts

Back