Two-way Porter bee escape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Smith

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I seem to have bees coming up through my porter bee escape. Is this common/normal? I thought they were supposed to be one-way!

Have you got them the right way up?
Better for clearing is a rhombus escape. I have two cut in half and each half mounted over a small hole in each corner. Works well in a few hours.

Instructions? Surely they just get pushed into the holes in the crown board and that's it?

slide the insert out and pinch the blades a bit closer together...

Have you got them the right way up?
Better for clearing is a rhombus escape. I have two cut in half and each half mounted over a small hole in each corner. Works well in a few hours.

I am pretty sure it is the correct way. Here is a photo of the bee escape taken looking down on the crown board.
PBE1.jpg

slide the insert out and pinch the blades a bit closer together...

I will give that a go thanks. Not sure how well it will work though as the blades are the new plastic type not the spring steel ones.

never seen those... should be the same principle though. are you actually clearing a super? otherwise, put a piece of cardboard over the holes and make a proper rhombus clearer board for when you want to extract...

No not actually clearing. Just there to plug the hole. Just intrigued as to why it was not working as it should. I think I will just remove it and cover the hole with a bit of slate. But I will try bending the blades together first by way of experiment.
Thanks.

Yes, they need re setting every time you use them and they get gummed up with propolis.....useless. Cover the holes up with a bit of gaffer tape, doubled up so bees don't get stuck. The central hole in your board is useful to pop a rapid feeder on.

Yes they do work great but just the standard one is just as good, they are just £3 ish each for the Rhombus escape on their own and pennies to make the board. Put them on in the morning and remove the honey in the evening, trouble free French design.

How long did you leave the porter escapes on for?
The bees soon learn how to get back through most clearer boards given enough time.

How long did you leave the porter escapes on for?
The bees soon learn how to get back through most clearer boards given enough time.

Yah see I didn't know that. That's why these forum things are good. I just left them in so any bees caught in the roof space could escape.

Yah see I didn't know that.

Try a cone escape to the outside. Like the WBCs, where they do need it.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/port.html

'It is ESSENTIAL that the spring gap is set so that the ends are accurately 3 mm apart and the springs are central between the top and bottom plates.'

'Reset the springs every time you use it, even when new!... They do not come from the supplier pre-set. '

As others have said ONLY use them for clearing, otherwise cover the hole with tape / wood / anything else.

I prefer Rhombus myself now.

Latest posts

Back