Will a rhomboid bee escape allow the queen to pass through?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
After removing the queen excluder for over -wintering ,It seems the queen is in a super ,this super has been well and truely stuck together
and i am reluctant to start pulling the frames apart in case i damage her.
would the best way to find her and remove the offending super [to clean up off site] to use a rhomboid bee escape?
I guess if drones can pass through she will too?

If there is brood in there they won't clear anyway. Go through it as carefully as you can and try to find her if she is in there, I appreciate if everything is stuck together, shaking the bees could be too messy.
What is your plan for the brood nest? It's currently brood and a half, giving her less laying space is not the best move. Have you considered double brood?

How do you check for QCs, disease and general well being if you wont go through your hive?

After removing the queen excluder for over -wintering ,It seems the queen is in a super ,this super has been well and truely stuck together
and i am reluctant to start pulling the frames apart in case i damage her.
would the best way to find her and remove the offending super [to clean up off site] to use a rhomboid bee escape?
I guess if drones can pass through she will too?
Get some decent cool smoke going and smoke them down, then you could remove and go through or do each frame individually smoking them heavily between frames. Just don’t blowtorch them.

thankyou for all the info . I did as Ian123 suggested and used some pine needles in the smoker ,all worked nicely .
and yes, blunt spike i had uptil that moment ,inspected all the frames apart from the offending super .

Back