Two-way Porter bee escape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is because of the faffing and ineffectiveness of the Porter escapes that I use Rhombus clearing boards.

I do use the Porters that I have acquired along the way - but not for clearing! Filled with bathroom silicone sealant, they are quite useful plugs for those awkward shaped holes that you sometimes find in otherwise perfectly good coverboards …

It is because of the faffing and ineffectiveness of the Porter escapes that I use Rhombus clearing boards.
:iagree:

I do use the Porters that I have acquired along the way - but not for clearing! Filled with bathroom silicone sealant, they are quite useful plugs for those awkward shaped holes that you sometimes find in otherwise perfectly good coverboards …

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Spot on!

QUOTE=itma;423527]perfectly good coverboards …[/QUOTE]

Woah, I nearly asked a question the other day to see if anyone else uses this term. It's probably that I am completely unobservant, (there's a cue... :cheers2:), but I have noticed only the term "crown board" being used. I have always called it a coverboard, and have been assiduously proofreading my replies to correct such references - in case I was called up in holes. Is it a generational thing? it doesn't appear to be geographic! Does anyone else use it???

Last edited:
QUOTE=itma;423527]perfectly good coverboards

Woah, I nearly asked a question the other day to see if anyone else uses this term. It's probably that I am completely unobservant, (there's a cue... :cheers2:), but I have noticed only the term "crown board" being used. I have always called it a coverboard, and have been assiduously proofreading my replies to correct such references - in case I was called up in holes. Is it a generational thing? it doesn't appear to be geographic! Does anyone else use it???[/QUOTE]

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/natcrown.html

I had only ever heard the term 'coverboard' in terms of American Beekeeping until now but according to Dave Cushman I guess it's just another name used by some for the same thing.

thanks YB - I use DC's site quite often, but never that page apparently! :)

I have only been beekeeping a short time, but did read somewhere that a clearing board is more effective if there is a bigger space underneath, like an eke, for the bees to evacuate into. Especially with the Canadian cone style, but also with others types.

Oliver^^^ mentions a wbc type cone to the outside. I would have thought that was less effective at night or during the rain?

I have only been beekeeping a short time, but did read somewhere that a clearing board is more effective if there is a bigger space underneath, like an eke, for the bees to evacuate into.
Indeed it is. My rhombus escape boards are 10/12 cm deep underneath.
It also helps putting a super of empty frames underneath.

Indeed it is. My rhombus escape boards are 10/12 cm deep underneath.
It also helps putting a super of empty frames underneath.

Earlier this year we put of Polyhive's clearer boards on 2 hive to be able to unite them without supers involved.

1 hive cleared no problem, the other there were a lot of dead bees on top of the clearer board, and dead bees in the rhombus escapes, no room to go down into the brood.

Lesson learned!!

I built the boards with 20mm. timber under the board but not enough obviously.

Tim.

Last edited:
I had only ever heard the term 'coverboard' in terms of American Beekeepin

Perhaps the difference between Monarchy and a republic?

Latest posts

Back