Treating bee stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
How do you treat bee stings? I am a bit allergic and would be happy for any advice.

Stings

Bees can sting; this is something that you must consider before beginning beekeeping. You must be able to withstand bee stings, since they cannot be avoided altogether. The first sting is unlikely to cause serious disturbance, but there will be pain with some local reddening and swelling round where the sting has penetrated. With subsequent stings, swelling and reddening are likely to be more pronounced, even when the amount of injected venom is minimised by immediate removal of the sting. The swelling may persist for several days and there is likely to be some itching before the symptoms disappear. As more stings are received, immunity to their effects usually develops, although some swelling around the site of a sting is quite common, bee stings are always painful.

Unfortunately, a few people are potentially allergic to bee stings. Such persons, instead of developing immunity, become severely allergic after a few stings. Their symptoms (associated with a serious generalised reaction) include widespread red blotching of the skin, skin irritation, a change in heart rate with a falling blood pressure, difficulty breathing and fainting.
Such symptoms require urgent medical attention. A person who becomes unconscious as the result of a bee sting can die.

Very allergic persons can be successfully desensitised by a doctor using bee venom therapy, so given the correct treatment they can take up beekeeping if they so wish.
http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?sectionid=70

See also
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21905

I take antihistamines, so I don't have much of a problem.

I would recommend carrying some in case of stings.

Stings

Bees can sting; this is something that you must consider before beginning beekeeping. You must be able to withstand bee stings, since they cannot be avoided altogether. The first sting is unlikely to cause serious disturbance, but there will be pain with some local reddening and swelling round where the sting has penetrated. With subsequent stings, swelling and reddening are likely to be more pronounced, even when the amount of injected venom is minimised by immediate removal of the sting. The swelling may persist for several days and there is likely to be some itching before the symptoms disappear. As more stings are received, immunity to their effects usually develops, although some swelling around the site of a sting is quite common, bee stings are always painful.

Unfortunately, a few people are potentially allergic to bee stings. Such persons, instead of developing immunity, become severely allergic after a few stings. Their symptoms (associated with a serious generalised reaction) include widespread red blotching of the skin, skin irritation, a change in heart rate with a falling blood pressure, difficulty breathing and fainting.
Such symptoms require urgent medical attention. A person who becomes unconscious as the result of a bee sting can die.

Very allergic persons can be successfully desensitised by a doctor using bee venom therapy, so given the correct treatment they can take up beekeeping if they so wish.
http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?sectionid=70

See also
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21905

:iagree:
Well explained, no matter what precautions you take with protective clothing you get stung when you least expect it, more often when you are away from the hives.

I take antihistamine tablets as a precaution and usually have a tube of antihistamine cream in my bee suit pocket. The pharmacist at my chemist told me to use the tablets with Chlorphenamine Maleate as they provided better relief. Apparently I was taking the wrong type of antihistamine tablets! I didn't even realise there were different types of tablets.

Chlorphenamine Maleate .

That sends me to sleep or I walk about in a "drunk" state for hours.
When I first started getting stung I swear Apis mel helped enormously. I don't believe in homeopathy (bit of a blanket statement, I know) but the results were excellent.

How do you treat bee stings? I am a bit allergic and would be happy for any advice.

mmmm perhaps you should define "a bit allergic"???

One thing is sure, if you keep bees you will get stung. :facts:

Oh and watch out for the epinephrine junkies too!

Last edited:
mmmm perhaps you should define "a bit allergic"???

One thing is sure, if you keep bees you will get stung. :facts:

Oh and watch out for the epinephrine junkies too!

:iagree: most people react to some degree or other to a sting. I't's not allergy it's the body's way of coping with the nasties that have entered it. Big difference between having a comedy hand for a few hours and experiencing a true allergic or anaphylactic reaction.

If you know you get a bad reaction to bee stings take up golf instead.
Normal reaction is swelling and itches like crazy after. Bees stings i'm fine with but horse fly bites I get a bad reaction and my arms swells to twice their normal size.

Well explained, no matter what precautions you take with protective clothing you get stung when you least expect it, more often when you are away from the hives.

Well I have only ever been stung when I most expect it, inspecting the bees. Never when away from, or even right next to, the hives.

Well I have only ever been stung when I most expect it, inspecting the bees. Never when away from, or even right next to, the hives.

You've got away with it so far then! :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

There will be days when they're just very pi55£d off, or you squash one by mistake.

Familiarity breeds contempt too.
You'll forget to fully-close a zip, Smoker goes out, take two or three away with you on the back of your suit etc etc?

Then you won't be expecting it!

I would have the opposite experience. My PPE is good enough to stop any stings when I am interfering with the bees.

I take antihistamines if I am stung and have little reaction. Even though I have beekept for two decades, I doubt I have much immunity because I work hard to avoid stings. Three a year would be average.
Cazza

Three a year would be average.
Cazza

Well, you've either got a great suit, or Nice bees or both!
I reckon i average 333 a year!! but saying that i dont react apart from say expletives!! It still blinking hurts!!

If you know you get a bad reaction to bee stings take up golf instead.
Normal reaction is swelling and itches like crazy after. Bees stings i'm fine with but horse fly bites I get a bad reaction and my arms swells to twice their normal size.

Time to give up the horse fly keeping for you then Redwood? ;)

I have lifted supers with honey to be extracted at home several miles from the bees, and accidentally squash a bee when picking the box up and been stung. My point is you can be dressed up in the suit of armour you think you have on but they get you when you least expect it.

I have lifted supers with honey to be extracted at home several miles from the bees, and accidentally squash a bee when picking the box up and been stung. My point is you can be dressed up in the suit of armour you think you have on but they get you when you least expect it.

Even cleaning out feeders, or cleaning a few dead bees out of the sink at home, can still result in getting stung!! caught mer out a few times.

Take antihistamine, try different ones until you find the one that suits you best.

It's normal for the area around a sting to swell up and itch, and then itch again when the swelling goes. The reaction may last a few days or only a few hours, depending on what's 'normal' for you.

What isn't normal is to come out in a rash, fell unusually breathless, or collapse in a heap on the ground. If that happens it's a good idea to see your GP and ask for allergy testing and then desensitisation treatment at the nearest hospital that offers that service.

There's a good thread about it, started by dpearce. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21905&highlight=sting+treatment

Severe reactions aside.....I find after the initial sting pain has subsided...the itching drives me crazy!
I have found that playing the warm air from a hairdryer over the sting area helps enormously. Only on the warm setting as even that feels hot! Afterwards....the itching stops for quite a few hours.

Severe reactions aside.....I find after the initial sting pain has subsided...the itching drives me crazy!
I have found that playing the warm air from a hairdryer over the sting area helps enormously. Only on the warm setting as even that feels hot! Afterwards....the itching stops for quite a few hours.

Thats interesting, I find that its bee stings that are the most bearable, Its wasps stings that i find worse. I get no real visible reaction apart from the pain, but the itching from wasp stings, drives me insane. Never get itching from bee stings. it strange how we all react so differently!!

Latest posts

Back