Treating bee stings with heat.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot water, as hot as you can bear but not boiling or anything dangerous. Holds the itching at bay for a while and then repeat.

A moderately hot bit of your smoker works.
However I have used a similar product "Bite-Away" which seems to have some benefit.
I think it has to be very soon after the sting to denature some of the venom.
I've used it after stings on the face & less reaction than I expected.

I'm uncertain that denaturing the venom is actually what's going on in this case. That may be a myth. When I looked it up (because my wife bought a similar device to the one linked earlier and, if I'm honest, I didn't think it would work) I believe the claim was that the heat interferes with the body's transmission pathways for the signals that cause a sense of itchiness and possibly also pain.

I discovered that studies have been done suggesting such devices do work, though I think the one I found was in part conducted by employees of the company that made the device so should perhaps be taken with a large pinch of salt. If true however, it would explain why the smoker trick also appears to work.

I also found discussions that immersion in hot water is sometimes used to mitigate the effects of stings from marine animals, but that it doesn't seem to work for snake venom because the proteins making up the venom won't sufficiently denature at a temperature likely to be bearable to humans. That suggests to me that if the device works for many types of insect sting then it's unlikely to be due to denaturing of the venom because they're made up of quite different compounds. That it should work for, say, mosquito, gnat or horsefly bites also seems inconsistent with that explanation because I'm not aware that they actually inject venom, though I may well be wrong there. I have a vague recollection that some biting insects inject some sort of anaesthetic, but I'd have guessed that when you start to feel the pain and/or itching from the bite it's because the body has broken down the anaesthetic. Again assuming the device works I'd imagine that might further support the hypothesis that the heat is blocking the body's pain/itch response.

James

Many biting insects inject anticoagulant+/- anaesthetic I believe.
Some constituents of venom are protein, it's believable that some of thes denature at bearable temperatures. I doubt a brief exposure is enough to block the pain/itch sensation comparing it to other treatment modalities eg tens.

I react to bee stings and when inspecting take a couple of antihistamines tablets beforehand. When I first got stung the symptoms lasted nearly a week, itching and swelling of the area. I used eurax cream to reduce the itching. But the upside was it eased arthritis at the sting site. Now if stung, reaction lasts only a day; but the downside to this is my arthritis is not improved for as long. I understand that research is ongoing into bee venom and its effects on treatment of arthritis. In my case it definitely helps my arthritis although may not in other people.
John

Has anybody tried Ambersol as temporary initial relief from a sting? It anesthetises the local area of flesh.

A friend of mine was helping me clear some ground and he had a large blackthorn spike break off in his thumb. To simply say he was in pain was an understatement. He was in absolute agony. In desperation I grabbed the bottle of ambersol and with a cotton bud, painted it onto the wound. The transformation was astounding. In less than a minute he and his wife were probing his thumb with a sterilised darning needle and tweezers and pulled out a half inch long thorn.

I just wondered if temporary relief from the pain and maybe the itching from a sting could be achieved with ambersol. I can't offer to be a guinea-pig since bee stings now have very little if any effect on me.
I think mosquitoes die of food poisoning if they bite me. I never seem to get bitten although others around me complain about being bitten.

Last edited:
Has anybody tried Ambersol as temporary initial relief from a sting? It anesthetises the local area of flesh.

A friend of mine was helping me clear some ground and he had a large blackthorn spike break off in his thumb. To simply say he was in pain was an understatement. He was in absolute agony. In desperation I grabbed the bottle of ambersol and with a cotton bud, painted it onto the wound. The transformation was astounding. In less than a minute he and his wife were probing his thumb with a sterilised darning needle and tweezers and pulled out a half inch long thorn.

I just wondered if temporary relief from the pain and maybe the itching from a sting could be achieved with ambersol. I can't offer to be a guinea-pig since bee stings now have very little if any effect on me.
I think mosquitoes die of food poisoning if they bite me.
If that's Anbesol it's lidocaine - a local anaesthetic.

When I first started beekeeping I knew an old beekeeper who, when his knee arthritis got worse, would get about 16 bees in a cylinder placed on his knee, then press down a plunger so they stung him - reckoned it helped!
I too was told that long-time beekeepers are less likely to suffer from arthritis.

Many biting insects inject anticoagulant+/- anaesthetic I believe.
Some constituents of venom are protein, it's believable that some of thes denature at bearable temperatures. I doubt a brief exposure is enough to block the pain/itch sensation comparing it to other treatment modalities eg tens.

I've just found this paper which has some explanation and references that may be relevant. I don't know if it's the one I originally found. That was years ago. Once they get into stuff like "A rapid temperature increase to a maximum of 51°C leads to an activation of transient receptor potential cation channel subfamily V member 1 (TRPV1) via C- and Aδ-fibers" I'm way out of my depth, regardless.

Another thing that causes me to wonder about the validity of the denaturing explanation is that bees body temperatures could perhaps vary quite considerably and maybe even exceed the temperatures at which proteins in the venom are denatured. I've read for instance that despite human body temperature averaging around 37°C, during exercise it's possible for localised temperatures to rise to as much as 50°C. I doubt we're alone in that given that so many animals have very similar biochemistry at a low level. Figures for the temperature created when bees ball a hornet for instance seem to very a bit but appear to be between 45°C and 50°C. If that's the temperature external to the bees, I wonder what their internal temperatures are like and how they compare to the temperature of the "bite healer" device?

James

I guess I was just trying to find out if it works in anyone’s direct experience.

Latest posts

Back