Perfume, the bee, the ant, me & A&E

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes we do.

I'm pretty sure Ongar station was reported as having a thriving colony in an old wall by a nature program a few years ago. As I recall they are European Scorpions whose sting is generally considered harmless to humans and was likened to a bee sting in sensation.

:serenade:
we do not have Scorpions over here.:rolleyes:

We do - there's a healthy colony living on the isle of Sheppey - been there for over a century and a half in Sheerness docks. They've been seen in other places as well.

The Yellow-Tailed Scorpion (Euscorpius flavicaudis) has managed to set up at least one thriving colony in an isolated area of England Despite the generally cool and mild climate here in the UK . These scorpions have occasionally been found at several coastal towns across the south of England over the years but the best known and most successful site is on the Isle of Sheppy in Kent where the dock-land town of Sheerness. This Yellow-Tailed Scorpion population has an estimated size of up to 10-15,000 specimens! This population was the first ever recorded in the UK way back in the 1860’s. The Yellow Tailed Scorpion has been living in the south-facing walls, rock crevices, abandoned buildings and railway sleepers of these docks for well over 150 years now. It is widely accepted that they originally found there way into the UK accidentally amid shipments of Italian masonry.Although the majority of the Sheerness scorpions live within the relative safety of the private docks some can be found on the South-facing wall that surrounds the docks. Other reported possible sightings of these scorpions have come from Harwich docks, Pinner, Tilbury docks, Portsmouth docks and Southampton docks as well as Ongar Underground Station but none have populations as long established and successful as Sheerness.

I'm pretty sure Ongar station was reported as having a thriving colony in an old wall by a nature program a few years ago. As I recall they are European Scorpions whose sting is generally considered harmless to humans and was likened to a bee sting in sensation.

A hoax I'm afraid:

The scorpion population at Ongar Underground Station was featured in a report by the BBC back in the 1970's but this is now reported to have been a hoax orchestrated by the station foreman who deliberately released scorpions bought from a local pet shop.

:serenade:

We do - there's a healthy colony living on the isle of Sheppey - been there for over a century and a half in Sheerness docks. They've been seen in other places as well.

A hoax I'm afraid:

Out of Interest does Rosie live on the Isle of Sheppy or can them Dangerous venomous things swim. :rolleyes:

Heh, learn something new everyday.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned asian hornet...

We are too far North - they would never understand our Lancashire accent. But perhaps a Taxman Ant/bee/scorpian

Latest posts

Back