Treating bee stings with heat.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm uncertain that denaturing the venom is actually what's going on in this case. That may be a myth. When I looked it up (because my wife bought a similar device to the one linked earlier and, if I'm honest, I didn't think it would work) I believe the claim was that the heat interferes with the body's transmission pathways for the signals that cause a sense of itchiness and possibly also pain.

I discovered that studies have been done suggesting such devices do work, though I think the one I found was in part conducted by employees of the company that made the device so should perhaps be taken with a large pinch of salt. If true however, it would explain why the smoker trick also appears to work.

I also found discussions that immersion in hot water is sometimes used to mitigate the effects of stings from marine animals, but that it doesn't seem to work for snake venom because the proteins making up the venom won't sufficiently denature at a temperature likely to be bearable to humans. That suggests to me that if the device works for many types of insect sting then it's unlikely to be due to denaturing of the venom because they're made up of quite different compounds. That it should work for, say, mosquito, gnat or horsefly bites also seems inconsistent with that explanation because I'm not aware that they actually inject venom, though I may well be wrong there. I have a vague recollection that some biting insects inject some sort of anaesthetic, but I'd have guessed that when you start to feel the pain and/or itching from the bite it's because the body has broken down the anaesthetic. Again assuming the device works I'd imagine that might further support the hypothesis that the heat is blocking the body's pain/itch response.

James
We do that if you get stung by a weaver fish. Put your foot in water as hot as you can bear.
I'm uncertain that denaturing the venom is actually what's going on in this case. That may be a myth. When I looked it up (because my wife bought a similar device to the one linked earlier and, if I'm honest, I didn't think it would work) I believe the claim was that the heat interferes with the body's transmission pathways for the signals that cause a sense of itchiness and possibly also pain.

I discovered that studies have been done suggesting such devices do work, though I think the one I found was in part conducted by employees of the company that made the device so should perhaps be taken with a large pinch of salt. If true however, it would explain why the smoker trick also appears to work.

I also found discussions that immersion in hot water is sometimes used to mitigate the effects of stings from marine animals, but that it doesn't seem to work for snake venom because the proteins making up the venom won't sufficiently denature at a temperature likely to be bearable to humans. That suggests to me that if the device works for many types of insect sting then it's unlikely to be due to denaturing of the venom because they're made up of quite different compounds. That it should work for, say, mosquito, gnat or horsefly bites also seems inconsistent with that explanation because I'm not aware that they actually inject venom, though I may well be wrong there. I have a vague recollection that some biting insects inject some sort of anaesthetic, but I'd have guessed that when you start to feel the pain and/or itching from the bite it's because the body has broken down the anaesthetic. Again assuming the device works I'd imagine that might further support the hypothesis that the heat is blocking the body's pain/itch response.

James
We do that if you get stung by a weever fish - nasty venomous thing had hides in the sand until you tread on it. Put your foot in water as hot as you can bear.

Attachments

• IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 0
I react to bee stings and when inspecting take a couple of antihistamines tablets beforehand. When I first got stung the symptoms lasted nearly a week, itching and swelling of the area. I used eurax cream to reduce the itching. But the upside was it eased arthritis at the sting site. Now if stung, reaction lasts only a day; but the downside to this is my arthritis is not improved for as long. I understand that research is ongoing into bee venom and its effects on treatment of arthritis. In my case it definitely helps my arthritis although may not in other people.
John
Definitely helps my arthritis, whether proven by science, medicine or not.

I believe Bee stings are acidic therefore using Bicarbonate of Soda which is basic ,neutralises the sting .
Wasps are alkaline and using vinegar neutralises their sting as they are Acidic
John
Nice theory, except venom under the skin & bicarb outside the skin aren't going to meet up!

Probably not, got stung just under the eye & treated it immediately - much less swelling than I have had with other facial stings.
Wrists swell a bit if several stings, hands nothing really so I've not bothered elsewhere.
I could do with a placebo affect. I have a right hand like an elephants foot after a sting today!

Probably not, got stung just under the eye & treated it immediately - much less swelling than I have had with other facial stings.
Wrists swell a bit if several stings, hands nothing really so I've not bothered elsewhere.
I have one of those, Sutty and always use it; sometimes I get a reaction, other times not, so I'm not sure if it reduces reaction or whether the sting goes in further sometimes. It certainly reduces/kills the pain. Apparently it heats to 51 deg C, and just as I'm thinking 'owwww, the six seconds is up. I don't think it is recommended on the face, however. I mentioned it to my doctor on one occasion and she dismissed its efficacy, unless done immediately.

I could do with a placebo affect. I have a right hand like an elephants foot after a sting today!
I was stung today, must have trapped her. I noticed that she got away without dying, strolled back onto the frame so perhaps she was just letting me know she was about. Finger is still normal size.

Bee and wasp stings are so close to ph neutral it doesn't matter what is administered
Whatever you use would disrupt the venom.
But as Sutty says you won't have time to follow the venom down a microscopic hole.
We find the vinegar just distracts the mind from the initial pain.

Bee and wasp stings are so close to ph neutral it doesn't matter what is administered
Whatever you use would disrupt the venom.
But as Sutty says you won't have time to follow the venom down a microscopic hole.
We find the vinegar just distracts the mind from the initial pain.
pH4.5 to 5.5 I think, so moderately acidic, will rapidly be buffered by tissue fluid on evenomation.

pH4.5 to 5.5 I think, so moderately acidic, will rapidly be buffered by tissue fluid on evenomation.
We were taught for a First Aid badge in the Scouts: Vinegar (acidic) for Vespas, Bluebag (alkaline) for Bees. Bluebag was a a little bag of sodium carbonate (washing soda) crystals that was put in the clothes wash.

We were taught for a First Aid badge in the Scouts: Vinegar (acidic) for Vespas, Bluebag (alkaline) for Bees. Bluebag was a a little bag of sodium carbonate (washing soda) crystals that was put in the clothes wash.
Got my "scientist" badge as a cub scout by causing an "explosion" with a sealed container containing bicarbonate and acid - did cause some worried faces! 😁
Quit when they insisted we went to church on Sunday!!

We do that if you get stung by a weaver fish. Put your foot in water as hot as you can bear.

We do that if you get stung by a weever fish - nasty venomous thing had hides in the sand until you tread on it. Put your foot in water as hot as you can bear.
Ah memories of our wonderful if slightly bonkers zoology lecturer Dr Gotto at QUB in the 80s. He was posted to several exotic locations whilst in the RAF (WW2). His lecture anecdotes included putting his arm on a Portuguese Man o' War to see if the reaction was as bad as his text books said. Apparently it was. "I say, I jolly well nearly lost the bally arm". They don't make em like that anymore alas.

Got my "scientist" badge as a cub scout by causing an "explosion" with a sealed container containing bicarbonate and acid - did cause some worried faces! 😁
Quit when they insisted we went to church on Sunday!!
Cor blimey, what fun!
A few years ago on the forum several venerable members posted quite scary stories of engineering similar explosions in their youth. My rather tame contribution: at Scout camp, wrapping mud round the base of a banger, lighting the blue touch paper, and dropping it into a slow-flowing stream. The underwater thud was most satisfying......

Edit: not penny bangers but Cannons @ 2d.

Last edited:
Cor blimey, what fun!
A few years ago on the forum several venerable members posted quite scary stories of engineering similar explosions in their youth. My rather tame contribution: at Scout camp, wrapping mud round the base of a banger, lighting the blue touch paper, and dropping it into a slow-flowing stream. The underwater thud was most satisfying......
"Banger" firework dropped alight into copper tubing crimped at the end and buried in the ground pointing 45 degrees up. A glass marble dropped on top.
Thankfully no-one got in the way of this gun!! It went a long way!

Latest posts

Back