Treated with Oxalic acid today.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All

Treated with Oxalic Acid today made myself to 3.2%. I got some strange looks weighing out white powder at work on the Labs analytical balances (calibrated).

On opening the hives today the differences between the hives was very noticeable, despite them all going into winter in my opinion as very much alike.

I opened the hives mid day, but basically non flying and in theory should all be clustered.

Some hives very tight, only 3 or 4 seams of bees (box volumes reduced) but other hives 8 or 10 and quite active at the fondant above.

5ml per seam added per seam, job done in each hive less and 1 minute each.

Last edited:
A big plastic box, LOL

I assume you mean inside? It was one of the better hives.

And addtionaly the OX did not melt it:boxing_smiley:

Jim, was it not too cold? we had snow for most of the day and never got above -2c.

Jez

I was joking that he OX did not melt the beehaus, not that things where frozen.

A nice sunny day today, snow/ice still on the ground, and temps of about 2 deg C.

It looks like it will warm up by the end of the week - 8 or 9C according to BBC for Sat/Sun so I plan to do my OA treatment then.

Temperature is not realy an issue, what is is that you treat them or not!

Just make sure the OX is at about 25 DegC i.e the temp of the cluster.

Well Nanetti from Italy have made reseach in different temperatures.
In +8C the efficacy was 99% and in -1,5 C it was 98%.

It is said nowhere that tempereture affects in trickling.

Temperature is not realy an issue

Temperature IS an issue!

Too low a temperature and the cluster will be so tight the oxalic solution will simply run off (just like a swarm in the rain) leaving many bees and varroa with little contact with the solution and low efficacy. Within a certain temperature band there will be more mobility in the cluster leading to effective treatment, but with too high a temperature there will be brood, and any sealed brood will contain a significant proportion of the varroa, leading to vastly reduced reduced efficacy.

99% vs 98% efficacy is a HUGE difference

Temp today is -2C (midday). I would rather not open the hives when it is so cold and since the forecast is ~10C warmer in just a few days I plan to take advantage and do my OA treatment then.

Seems ideal really; the current cold snap has lasted for a few weeks so there should be little or no sealed brood and the warmer conditions mean less chilling of the bees when the roofs are off.

99% vs 98% efficacy is a HUGE difference

Looked at one way, it is 100% difference. Looked at another way it might only be, say, 5 mites. An extra month of broodless colony could make as much difference, so I would not really mind if I could only achieve 98%

Varroa is an on-going battle and it shows no end, in the near future. I accept there will be a few mites and I 'keep at them' all year round. Relying on an extra one percent efficacy is not the end of the world.

Further, I would not be surprised if there were still a little brood, even now, in some colonies as it has not been that cold for the last three weeks to guarantee brood-free colonies.

Regards, RAB

Varroa is an on-going battle and it shows no end, in the near future. I accept there will be a few mites and I 'keep at them' all year round. Relying on an extra one percent efficacy is not the end of the world.

We do agree somtimes Oliver:cheers2:

As I have said before, yes it might not be a 100% perfect time, but if it is the only time you have to treat them, TREAT THEM NOW.

I would rather not open the hives when it is so cold

warmer conditions mean less chilling of the bees when the roofs are off.

It takes seconds to treat the hive, and a warm solution of OX helps.

what about those that do not treat, 98% not effective?

Last edited:
what about those that do not treat, 98% not effective?

Nah, According to my maths, that would be 100% not effective! Not sure where you get your 2% efficacy from?

Regards, RAB

the 2% is natural error in all calculations / predictions and pure luck on their part.

You are making science again from nothing. You have learned from Ruary.

Only thing what I know is that no brood in the hive.
Temperature is what it is.

In Finland guys do trickling in -2 to +5C. Hard wind is worse than frost.

Too low and your fingers freeze. Too high and you must use smoke.

Last edited:

Only thing what I know is that no brood in the hive.
Temperature is what it is.

In Finland guys do trickling in -2 to +5C. Hard wind is worse than frost.

I rest my case. I was waiting for you Finman

Jeez - I didn't want to start an argument. I'm still doing mine on Saturday.

Now you get the idea :cheers2:

Its just a forum not a Scientific lecture class. Some of us have done that to death and need a chill out.

Latest posts

Back