Trailer Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poly hives are very robust indeed, that is the proper poly ones... namely Swienty to name the one I use.
PH

I had a large Swienty order this spring. This year's poly seems softer than before, most noticeable on the 3/4 boxes. And if you drop one it breaks (thanks Hombre!), even though no honey in it. Bees also chewed out of one after fat drones blocked Porter escapes. Swienty kit from previous years has tolerated all kinds of abuse and it's only woodpeckers and being run over (thanks again Hombre!) that seem to do any damage. Maybe this years was just a dud batch?

All I can say it to take pics and tell Swienty.

The nucs I bought this year are working well.

PH

No, no, don't dob me in to Sweinty. I don't look good in a stripy rugby shirt . . .so no photos.

Chris B,

If you have any decent sized fragments left, it should not be difficult with an accurate weighing device, to determine the density. Softness is usually a measure (or result) of the density. You need an accurate mass and volume to determine the density accurately.

If the results are on the low side and can be demonstrated (keep the evidence), I am sure Sw**nty would respond favourably. There are different densities offered by different manufacturers/suppliers, so it is important to know where your particular supplier is in the 'pecking' order. There is certainly an upper echelon and one where density is dubious.

The higher densities will presumably be stronger at a declining insulation 'U' value. There will be an optimum value there the sum of the useful attributes is a maximum.

But, as always, a compromise or trade off dependent on the qualities you think are most important.

High insulation - lower the density, the better the insulation, at least down to densities at which other factors become more important!

Chewing by bees - there will be a minimum value, below which, the hive component will not last very long, once the bees start to remove the inside of their house. This would represent very poor value to the unsuspecting beekeeper.

Strength - higher density, up to a point where they may become 'brittle'

Can't think of any more at the moment, but here may be other qualities to be considered.

Any product must be kept down to the lowest safe target (less of the expensive constituent), but with injection moulding there are lots of ways to speed up the machinery 'cycle time' (seconds per unit produced), one of which is operational density setting. There is no substitute for quality and some lower quality ones can slip through the checks and only be experienced by the end user. The production can almost be certainly be traced back to a particular machine/operative/date and Sw**nty may already have had some returned already.

Their response to low quality might be either 'not us Gov, nobody else has complained' or perhaps 'Thankyou, we have realised that some of that particular production may have fallen below our high standards/expectations. We will certainly replace them. We are sorry for you inconvenience' or something similar.

The first response should ring alarm bells - and one finds another supplier. The second would make a customer feel important, and give the deserved impression of a favoured supplier to be trusted in the future.

Regards, RAB

"Joined up thinking"

Tells me to gather information, advice, know-how and experienced views from knowledgable, intelligent people BEFORE jumping in.

The trailer will be built around the specifications required by the hives and any advice I glean now, as will the purchase of suitable lashing, other accoutrements and innovations.

But thanks for the suggestion that I should buy it all first and then ask for advice before cobbling everything together. I will try to find the answers to my questions from someone else.

hey bbg, good on you, am doing the same for next year to put the hives on the machair for the summer, then shift to the heather for the autumn, my trailer's ready but only to take four hives, what I do is duct tape them round the joints and ratchet strap them to anchor points on the trailer It's no problem, ratchet straps three to four quid each. If you have a wooden deck on the trailer just screw bits of wood round the hives to stop them sliding about, they don't need to be the full length of the hives just stops. If you have a metal trailer, just drill hole's where the anchor will be and hook the strap in it, the holes i'll let the rain water off the deck, an ordinary car will tow your trailer no bother,when you see them draging thon monster caravans round the country,,cheers..kenny

PS. I found that the more I think about things the more it puts my head in a porridge. It's best to get stuck in, and sort out any problems as your going along' It takes a while longer but at least your going ahead

Personally, I would follow Finman's advice and only use the trailer as transport only, in most instances, dropping hives off around an area, but in small numbers. Too many hives in one spot is not good for maximising yields per colony.

That means a smaller (physical size) trailer per number of hives. Or more hives, as less trailer weight can be travelled.

An easy removal and loading system would then be easier to design/incorporate. Presumably one has to generally transport a brood and at least one other box (for decently strong colonies) and this imposes a lifting weight problem for the operative. Taking them off at the rear might be a simple method - remove minimum distance (near zilch) and lowert o ground/stand.

The commercial boys have tried these ideas, I am sure. Lifting weights and HSE rules/guidelines are ignored at the operator's peril - of industrial injury/claims.

I was impressed when we, as a local BKA group, saw a local beekeeper's trailer - well thought out, practical and at first glance, I could see no reason for criticising the design. Subsequently, I still think it a very good, well thought out idea. It was not his first, but modified on previous experience, of course, as many good designs are.

Regards, RAB

So no-one wants my trailer,post 9 pics should I sulk !!!!!!!!!!!

So no-one wants my trailer,post 9 pics should I sulk !!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry BeeBreeder! Only just discovered this!

Would really like to see some pics of your trailer (all 9 please).

Thanks for earlier comments

Sorry BBG
The trailer pics are on post number 9 there are three pics there, are you interested? I can always put it on the auction site

OK thanks for that - don't know how or why I missed them

oooh, that's a bit naughty about the BBKA - but think I understand where you are coming from Admin. I was very surprised to read in Beecraft that for the last 10 years some bee colonies have started to deal with varroa themselves, by extracting their infected pupae etc., did a day workshop in June on Varroa etc run by the main bee inspectors and this was not mentioned at all and I wondered why?? This has made me more cautious about following some of the more traditional beeks in our group and beginning to feel confident enough to make my own decisions. If I lose my bees next year I can then only blame myself!
Love the site, so thanks
Louise

Beekeepers Container

Hello everyone and thank you for allowing me to join this forum ! I am new to beekeeping but already have big plans. In this regard I was thinking on the subject of transport and relocation of bees and beehives and I got an idea how to ease myself the job.

I'm a container designed for that purpose.

Since I can not put a link to it, I ask all who are interested to go to the address turbosquid.com and then look for it under the name Beekeepers Container.

If I understand the purpose of the TurboSquid site correctly, what's being sold there is really only of use to virtual beekeepers.

Still, given the success of Pokemon Go, perhaps there's potential for an augmented reality game using 3D models where people could use their smartphones to find and mark virtual queens, perform Snelgrove Board manipulations and so on.

These days containers are returning from sunflower forage at my area. With yields some said are satisified, but they fear of price ( 2 or less than 2 euros is mentioned..).

If I understand the purpose of the TurboSquid site correctly, what's being sold there is really only of use to virtual beekeepers.

By the evidence I've seen - a lot of people on this forum are living in a virtual reality anyway!!

Interesting thread.

Must admit my first thought was a custom built box trailer designed to take two rows along the sides with an access corridor along the middle for two road of standard sized brood boxes, supers and crown boards with the floor built into the trailer would be the best plan.

Spare supers could be stored above the active boxes.

The overhangs of standard roofs would be a pain.

I saw some thing similar in California and they were huge, about four hives high and ten or twelve along and towed by big trucks.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

Don't get too excited Motobiman. You need to have very docile bees to operate this sort of system. The slightest vibration on the floor as you walk will instantly be felt by all of the colonies.
The system I have seen also had a red light (like the old photographers darkroom lights) inside so the beekeeper could see.

Hi to all, I am considering keeping 12 of my hives on a trailer, one foot apart, to enable movement and also convenience.

Has anybody done this?

Would like to hear the pros and cons of doing it.

Would they be too close together. It happens in Eastern European countries.

Thoughts and facts please.

Thanks in anticipation

Too many hives at same point. The yield will be miserable. And really the eggs in the same basket..

Latest posts

Back