Tradex ''on or off''

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, a fieldfare - never before - is visiting our garden every half hour, feeding on apples I am taking from our apple store. Glad to see our regular winter visitor, a single goldcrest, seems to be coping
I know it is slightly of topic but they are amazing little birds a bit hard to tell the difference between the two though (Firecrest).. ;)

The point Philip is making is that to us Southern Softees 8inches is 8 feet :D

Well at least my obtuse humour is appreciated in some quarters ...

The snow reached sandal depth at about 5pm on the Costa del Fareham and predictably brought the area to a standstill .... people abandoning their cars because they are frightened of a bit of slippery snow or driving like lunatics and crashing ... all in what (where I come from in Yorkshire) would probably be considered a heavy frost ...

We get so little snow down here (last ~ and possibly first snow in living memory down here on the Costa was 6 years ago) that drivers really don't get to drive in these conditions - but don't have the sense to stay at home, walk or use public transport. Plenty of warnings of what was coming and the roads were still gridlocked .. took me nearly an hour to get the 3 miles home from work on roads that, actually, were quite driveable with care and a little sense. People spinning wheels, skidding about, braking and banging into kerbs, cars, bollards ... driving too close, too fast, too slow, jerking about and then panicking and getting out of their vehicles and leaving them parked ... Nightmare.

It's going to be worse in the morning as it's going to be frozen slush - hopefully the idiots will stay home.

And this is NOTHING like they have had in Scotland and the North East ... :hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

I’m staying in
But Stan’s put me to work
He’s decided that if he can’t do any work outside we have to do something so we are painting. Bathroom done yesterday, spare bedroom today.
I don’t know what the problem is. I can easily do nothing :)

I’m staying in
But Stan’s put me to work
He’s decided that if he can’t do any work outside we have to do something so we are painting. Bathroom done yesterday, spare bedroom today.
I don’t know what the problem is. I can easily do nothing :)

Another reason why I'm off to work tomorrow - even if I have to tunnel through 8 feet of snow to get there ...if I could get away with a day in the workshop with the micro woodburner going it would be a different matter !

I've spent the whole day with my team defrosting air compressors, thawing out transfer lines, keeping our steam boilers working to keep the wheels of science and industry turning. It's nice to be home and even nicer that tomorrow is going to be above freezing!

And this is NOTHING like they have had in Scotland and the North East ... :hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

I am not sure if you are taking the pee there but i can assure you it is bad in many parts of the North East, tractors are pulling stuck gritters out and in some spots even the tractors are getting trouble, like i said in a previous post it is the wind driving laid fine snow that is the main problem, it is truly 8ft deep in places..

I am not sure if you are taking the pee there but i can assure you it is bad in many parts of the North East, tractors are pulling stuck gritters out and in some spots even the tractors are getting trouble, like i said in a previous post it is the wind driving laid fine snow that is the main problem, it is truly 8ft deep in places..

No ... I was commenting on the fact that the North is buried under feet of snow and is still moving - we get a smattering down here and it's all stop. Sorry I had to explain ...

Hello - my journey home from work,normally 30 minutes took just over 3 hours today. Never experienced conditions like it before. Worst problem was van drivers trying to overtake on hills and ending up sideways on, blocking the roads in both directions. The farmers and gritters are doing a great job, but wouldn't have half as much to do if van drivers had brains.

Earlier today the island traffic crawled and my friend (driving instructor) phoned me to say it took 1.5 hrs to drive 6 miles. This is others pure bad driving. Just took honda out to see just how bad it really is, and with sensible driving there was nothing to be concerned about. Totally different up on the mainland though, news looks awful In places

Lots of drifting snow in S Warwickshire yesterday and overnight. Still snowing and windy this morning. M40 southbound closed apparently at J13. My wife works at Stoneleigh, she wasn't in the office yesterday but colleagues who were had an 'interesting' journey home along the A46 and M40. Many Warwickshire schools are closed today, although debatable what that measures☺
Access roads around the Stoneleigh site itself are another issue.

Edited to add: businesses on site are open today

Last edited:
Currently the main roads around Stoneleigh are reasonably clear. I live some 12 miles as the bee flies to the south east of Stoneleigh and normally cut across country on very minor roads to arrive directly opposite the site entrance.

Tomorrow i will be going up to southern Coventry picking up the A45 and coming down to Stoneleigh on B4113 which i have been told is ok and is a bus route. Probably will add 50% to the journey but mjnor roads are problematic ìn view of the ice. I can only get out of my lane in one direction as in the other there is a very steep canal bridge and with the road surface frozen hard, you can't get any grip with front wheel drive.

Coming from south, the A46 is ok which gets you close to Stoneleigh. For those that normally take the A423 from Southam up to Ryton, avoid it as it is closed at Marton until 8th March.

Currently the storm from the south is not forecast to reach us but you know what they say about forecasts!

Currently the main roads around Stoneleigh are reasonably clear. I live some 12 miles as the bee flies to the south east of Stoneleigh and normally cut across country on very minor roads to arrive directly opposite the site entrance.

Tomorrow i will be going up to southern Coventry picking up the A45 and coming down to Stoneleigh on B4113 which i have been told is ok and is a bus route. Probably will add 50% to the journey but mjnor roads are problematic ìn view of the ice. I can only get out of my lane in one direction as in the other there is a very steep canal bridge and with the road surface frozen hard, you can't get any grip with front wheel drive.

Coming from south, the A46 is ok which gets you close to Stoneleigh. For those that normally take the A423 from Southam up to Ryton, avoid it as it is closed at Marton until 8th March.

Currently the storm from the south is not forecast to reach us but you know what they say about forecasts!
Please continue to update us. If the minor roads are anything like ours I will give, regrettably, Beetradex a miss. I was coming to spend quite a lot of cash!!!

Well at least my obtuse humour is appreciated in some quarters ...

The snow reached sandal depth at about 5pm on the Costa del Fareham and predictably brought the area to a standstill .... people abandoning their cars because they are frightened of a bit of slippery snow or driving like lunatics and crashing ... all in what (where I come from in Yorkshire) would probably be considered a heavy frost ...

I thought of wearing sandals all year round like one beekeeper I know (he cheats and covers up with bees) but that's as far as I got.

My morning walk today in improved conditions only saw one felled tree, and one van abandoned at the end of a long ,steep,untreated road - crashed into the bridge at the bottom. Tractors only in those conditions.. 40-60mph gusts and snow drifting.

The above is exceptional - main roads passable without much care needed.

Please continue to update us. If the minor roads are anything like ours I will give, regrettably, Beetradex a miss. I was coming to spend quite a lot of cash!!!

The forecasts have been slowly improving locally and at Stoneleigh - I expect no real issues - unless a lorry closes the M6 southbound (2 lanes this am)

When mention rough road conditions..
We have ice rain at the moment.. above all snow.. I have to go to buy skates..

Just a thought for some of the "diehards"

If the authorities have advised not to travel your car insurance may well not cover you and you may also be in danger of being charged with motoring offences.

Think about it before turning that key.

PH

If the authorities have advised not to travel your car insurance may well not cover you and you may also be in danger of being charged with motoring offences.

Misinformation I'm afraid.
Insurance companies have stated that comprehensive insurance will cover any damage caused to a person's vehicle by the storm.

A spokesman for the AA told the Daily Record: "It's total nonsense to say you would not be covered during a red weather warning.

PH

More misinformation again

Latest posts

Back