To oxalic or not...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Looking at the varroa drop from my one 14x12 hive this past month, there have either been (on one occasion in november) three mites or more recently none. Is the consensus from the group that it it better to apply oxalic as a prophylaxis? Or do we refrain from treating something that may not be there at levels sufficient to warrant chemical intervention?

Hoping for suitably diverse responses....

LJ.

For clarity, was that 3 mites in a day, a week or a month?

Sorry...three over about three days, so one per day.

LJ

Varroa douple itself in a month.
When you start with 10 mites in Marsh and douple it to September,
it achieves the risk limit 1000 mites.

Trickling is easy. It is better to give than wonder should I ?

5 mites in the hive after winter is a safe number. You clear it out when you kill them and then count.

Is the consensus from the group that it it better to apply oxalic as a prophylaxis?

Consensus is rare amongst human beings, never seen amongst beekeepers.

My answer is a definite yes.
I do not count the mites and I apply OA. The aim of the winter treatment is not the protection of the wintering bees (which had to be done late summer), but the delay of the buildup the next summer.

Concencus.....

Yes, I nurse my hives and not concencus hives.

90% of this forums writings are social nonsense. Try to find a concencus from there.
A GOLDEN MIDDWAY HOW TO NURSE BEES.

FERA varroa booklet says that coloney at risk if greater than half a mite a day drop in winter so answer would seem to be yes or use some other method in Spring but these often involved loss of worker or drone brood.

I'm not likely to treat.

I know I am able to maintain my colonies below, or well below, that 1000 mite threshold (actually quoted by Finman on this occasion) during the next season without any of the possible risks which may be associated with oxalic treatment.

But, there again, I am not a commercial beekeeper simply looking for the minimum varroa and the absolute maximum return.

RAB

If you want to keep your bees by consensus count me out.

If a hundred urge you to do the stupid thing and one person tells you to do the right thing what worth your consensus?

Zero.

PH

Something of an exaggeration. Mind I have noticed increased drivel from a couple of regulars. You know who you are.....:smilielol5:

By concensus I suppose you had better count me in on the dribble writings!

not worthy my bees love me not worthy
;););)

Last edited:
If you want to keep your bees by consensus count me out.

If a hundred urge you to do the stupid thing and one person tells you to do the right thing what worth your consensus?

Zero.

PH

True...but statistically, with sufficient responses, there is more likely to be a trend I the direction of sensibility, I would hope.
Given that some of the more experienced beekeepers on this forum have much to offer in the way of experience and opinions, one would hope that even if there is not a majority view, then the reasons given for various views would provide sufficient food for thought to allow for a more informed decision than one person might make by mulling over an issue alone. Such is the plight of the novice. And we have to learn from somewhere!

So maybe consensus too much to ask for...I will be sure to choose my words more judiciously in future! ;)

Good enough now that is sorted.

I don't count mites... gasp shock horror.

I do though monitor drone brood in the season and can report that this year I saw none. Narry a one which leads me to conclude that the OA treatment is effective.

I will be trickling after Crimbo and before I go on holidays on the 7th. However that will require a cool day so they are neatly clustered for the application.

PH

What is the concensus? How much you progress goes after continental Europe? 10 or 20 years? Not more because there were no mites then.

old-fashioned-bicycle.jpg

I didn't OA last year - instead using a varroa treatment in Spring - my girls DID NOT like it...and proceded to kill all their Queens and prat me about all season! Never again...OA in the shed waiting for some cold weather!!!!

I was in two minds whether to treat or not ... but did, on the 20th. A cold day with well clustered colonies. I'm just back from counting mite drops on four colonies (all of which had negligible or no mites - by counting mite drop - after Apiguard treatment in late August/September).

Results ... two colonies with ~10/day, one with ~17/day and one with ~40/day :eek:.

I think the warm late autumn has allowed brood rearing to continue later than usual, allowing mite levels to rise. If your autumn has been unusually warm I'd definitely advise treating with OA.

Happy Christmas

I don't treat with OA... Just putting that out there.

I have never had the infestation levels to warrant it in my opinion.

Each to their own.

Ben P

Latest posts

Back